Itching to retake the instrument, please recommend!!!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here due to my discovery of a program called Synthesia (The real Piano Hero game).

To give you a quick explanation, I started playing the piano at age 14 and took lessons for about a year and a half. I gave up on it mainly because I was too lazy or busy to practice and later my crappy Casio died. However, I always kept a strong appreciation for the music and wanted to play many piano songs. 10 years later I saw these Youtube videos for the Synthesia program which I saw as a funner and quicker way to learn these songs.

I have lots of musician friends who want me to play with them but I know I need to put in some practice and thought I should use this as a jump-start to picking up practice again.

I started lurking these boards and saw the keyboard buying guide to which I noticed the Synths category which I got intrigued in due to my love for Electronic music. I saw and read some reviews on Youtube for the Roland GAIA which I found to be very beginner friendly. But I don't think I could use it to practice and play all these piano songs I wanted to learn.

My main problem is I'm not sure what type of keyboard I want. Is the GAIA not lacking in features compared to the other Synths? I also saw a recommendation on this board for the Korg X50 workstation, but I saw it regarded as a Synthetizer in the Youtube review. My budget is around 1.5K, should I get the GAIA and another keyboard? Could I get one that covers both bases? Thanks in advance

Ask a Question