Jordan Rudess Keyboard DVD

Reaction score
I was watching a Dream Theater DVD with my daughter & I said "damn! this is great, but why isn't there more footage of Jordan Rudess for us keys players! The guitar players get the limelight as usual.:cool: " (don't get me wrong, John Petrucci is god & all that...)

I did a google on Jordan Rudess & found lotsa great stuff including this:

Keyboard Madness - Mastering Live Performance DVD

$24.99

Critically acclaimed keyboard artist and educator Jordan Rudess takes a deep look inside the world of live keyboard performance and shares his knowledge of what it takes to become a true keyboard master. Get an in-depth look at his unique approach to performance with Dream Theater using examples spanning across the entire Dream Theater catalog, as well as Jordan's numerous solo projects. Enjoy watching the wizard at work, while learning how to harness the power of today's keyboard technology. Jordan also shares his warm-up routine through a series of technical exercises that will sharpen your skills and get you ready to play. Also included is close-up bonus footage of Jordan performing three songs from his solo album, "Rhythm of Time." This DVD is jam-packed with two hours of pure "keyboard madness."

That was just what I wanted. More than just a "concert video", I wanted something that will show how the keyboards are set up, how he gets his sounds, inside stuff. Also views & tips about playing, but I don't just want an "instructional video", because I already have more than enough practice material.

Any of you seen this DVD? Is this a good use of $24?

How about any other DVDs/videos put out by famous keyboard greats? I did a google, but there were very few... mostly a lot of "play keyboard TODAY for beginners' instructional guides. Contrast with guitar, where there are millions of guides by famous performers. Boo Hoo.

Reaction score
Lord, Magician, etc...
Maybe music with military ranks.
I doubt that a keyboard player would ever become a god.

Reaction score
How about any other DVDs/videos put out by famous keyboard greats? I did a google, but there were very few... mostly a lot of "play keyboard TODAY for beginners' instructional guides. Contrast with guitar, where there are millions of guides by famous performers. Boo Hoo.

Another DVD that I would recommend (not another keyboardist, though... Still Jordan :p) is "Keyboard Wizardry". That's mainly quite a lot of exercises, though, but all of them are very good. It's not that much about the sound programming and such, as in Mastering Live Performance, but if you need some good exercises, I would strongly recommend it.

Reaction score
Lord, Magician, etc...
Maybe music with military ranks.
I doubt that a keyboard player would ever become a god.

I would perfer calling great keyboard players like Jordan, Legend.

God isn't a word for keyboardists because it doesn't seem right. Its magical, Wizard sounds good, or Lord..I usually say King or Legend

Reaction score
The Almighty Legendary Wizard of Ultimate Doom and Terror!

Or something.... Maybe the titles are supposed to be shorter than the real names? :/

Reaction score
While the guitar certainly has "god" associated, keyboards have a bit of a mystical quality about them, certainly to those who know little about them. Maybe a Warlock, Savant or Alchemist?

[Edit] Actually, how about "Sonic Alchemist" That would be pretty cool!

Reaction score
While the guitar certainly has "god" associated, keyboards have a bit of a mystical quality about them, certainly to those who know little about them. Maybe a Warlock, Savant or Alchemist?

I am not a HUGE Jordan Rudess fan, but he certainly is really talented. I would just call him a Wizard or something haha

Reaction score
I am not a HUGE Jordan Rudess fan, but he certainly is really talented. I would just call him a Wizard or something haha
Virtuoso? Yes. Next Keith Emerson? sadly not - not nearly original enough. But the bits of his instructional DVDs I've seen on YouTube look well done.

Anyway, the names/prefixes I suggested were just generally for talented keyboard players like the "legend" or "God" tag for guitarists.

Reaction score
Rudess's solos are awesome to hear. I seen Dream live once only because I wanted see him play in person. I am not a huge fan of the band, but Jordan's solos are so awesome, you have to hear them.

Reaction score

I watched the first part of this video, and Rudess certainly looks the part of a Wizard!! The shots from above, you can see his bald head, kind of like Gollum (OK, Gollum was more of a goblin than a wizard) and these incredible claw-like hands that are all over the place!!!!

My review of part 1 (splits & layers), it isn't that exciting visually, not really like a concert, just Rudess in his black clothes in front of a keyboard & he is talking. (Why do musiciansl always wear black?? When I get gigs I'm going to dress in an awesome costume.) But then he plays all these riffs from Dream Theater songs, and he's got about 20 layers on his keyboard. How does he do that??? Does any keyboard actually have 20 layers, or is it something to do with his rack units?

Anyway if you like/know Dream Theater it is mind boggling, cause this shows me how DT manages to sound like an orchestra. Rudess will layer piano, vocal Ah's, orchestra & percussion all on one set of keys. It just blows me away.

Kind of made me lust after a fancy Kurzweil keyboard, too!! (But I don't have the skills to be worthy of it yet.)

Reaction score
(Why do musiciansl always wear black?? When I get gigs I'm going to dress in an awesome costume.)

I've not really thought about that - I have my black gig shirt that has been everywhere, although a lot of stuff I do is in pits where pit blacks are the norm. For me it's just habit really, although impractical when under lights!

But then he plays all these riffs from Dream Theater songs, and he's got about 20 layers on his keyboard. How does he do that??? Does any keyboard actually have 20 layers, or is it something to do with his rack units?

He does it all with one keyboard, he just spends a ludicrous amount of time programming it. I don't know what polyphony the K2600 has, but it must be fairly impressive, the amount of splits and layers he uses!

Reaction score
But then he plays all these riffs from Dream Theater songs, and he's got about 20 layers on his keyboard. How does he do that??? Does any keyboard actually have 20 layers, or is it something to do with his rack units?

With his new keyboard, the Korg OASYS, you can theoretically have 96 sounds at once (I think I found 6 Oscillators when trying it out at the stores, and you can have 16 sounds at once. 16x6=96). I doubt that it will sound any good, but it is possible :p

But as Mourndark mentioned, it does take ridiculous amount of time to program these kinds of sounds. There is even a website which is only about the programming of some keyboardists sounds, including Rudess' Liquid Tension lead sound, which is about 10 layers in itself :p

EDIT: Missleading information, obviously the Oasys can't have 6 oscillators... It can have 2, but with 4 waveforms in each, making it 8 sounds per program (it will sound really crappy, but it can be done :p) and then 16 programs at once in combi mode.

Reaction score
I've not really thought about that - I have my black gig shirt that has been everywhere, although a lot of stuff I do is in pits where pit blacks are the norm. For me it's just habit really, although impractical when under lights!

He does it all with one keyboard, he just spends a ludicrous amount of time programming it. I don't know what polyphony the K2600 has, but it must be fairly impressive, the amount of splits and layers he uses!

Must have about 1000 polyphony. I didn't know they made keyboards that could handle that many layers. :eek:

But yeah, why wear black? I thought that was just Metal musicians who wanted to show how Dark they were, and other types where musicians were in the background (like for theater) & didn't want to be noticed.

When I go to see a rock or prog band, I want to see every BRITE color that delights my eyes. Not black!!!

Reaction score
would like to contribute to this topic as Mr. Jordan Rudess deserves that : )
Although i didnt see mastering live performance, i watched the aforemoentioned Keyboard Wizardry and it's just fabulous, every keyboardist should watch it - it's full of major or subtle tricks and tips how to improve one's playing style and attitude towards mastering the keys not only physically with your speed, finger strength, etc, but also mentally considering how the whole compositions of the songs work.
I dont see a reason why JR couldnt be called GOD : ) to me, he is one, along with tuomas holopainen, jens johansson and others

Reaction score
I was watching a Dream Theater DVD with my daughter & I said "damn! this is great, but why isn't there more footage of Jordan Rudess for us keys players! The guitar players get the limelight as usual.:cool: " (don't get me wrong, John Petrucci is god & all that...)

I did a google on Jordan Rudess & found lotsa great stuff including this:

Keyboard Madness - Mastering Live Performance DVD

$24.99

Critically acclaimed keyboard artist and educator Jordan Rudess takes a deep look inside the world of live keyboard performance and shares his knowledge of what it takes to become a true keyboard master. Get an in-depth look at his unique approach to performance with Dream Theater using examples spanning across the entire Dream Theater catalog, as well as Jordan's numerous solo projects. Enjoy watching the wizard at work, while learning how to harness the power of today's keyboard technology. Jordan also shares his warm-up routine through a series of technical exercises that will sharpen your skills and get you ready to play. Also included is close-up bonus footage of Jordan performing three songs from his solo album, "Rhythm of Time." This DVD is jam-packed with two hours of pure "keyboard madness."

That was just what I wanted. More than just a "concert video", I wanted something that will show how the keyboards are set up, how he gets his sounds, inside stuff. Also views & tips about playing, but I don't just want an "instructional video", because I already have more than enough practice material.

Any of you seen this DVD? Is this a good use of $24?

hi,

I found the video on youtube:

click here

Ask a Question