Juno DS 88 and Ferrofish B-4000 midi question

Reaction score
I just got a Ferrofish B4000 organ module. I connected its midi in A from the Juno midi out-standard midi connection. i disabled the local in the Juno and both midi channel are on 1. No sound. I am connected to a mixer and headphones. I can hear the Ferrofish demo fine but the Juno doesn't play it. I've tried about everything, reading the manuals which aren't really that clear to me about it and etc. I've never personally used midi before so maybe that's it. I don't really want to get into software and computer use. Was just trying to get some really good organ sounds which the Ferrofish certainly has. Any help appreciated. I've emailed Roland and Ferrofish and they've suggested what I've already done. i haven't tried a different keyboard. Maybe a midi controller is the best solution but the thing should play from the juno....

Thanks, DaveL

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi. I use the exact same setup and mine works right as it should.

First of all though, the Ferrofish line output is a TRS Stereo connection.

Secondly, I don't turn LOCAL OFF on the DS88.

Instead I control individual volumes and layers using the volume knob on the DS and the drawbars on the Ferrofish. The ferrofish has no other volume control.

Check all your levels and try again.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if it still doesn't work, don't discount the possibility of a bad MIDI Cable. If you don't have a cable tester handy try a different cable.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi. I use the exact same setup and mine works right as it should.

First of all though, the Ferrofish line output is a TRS Stereo connection.

Secondly, I don't turn LOCAL OFF on the DS88.

Instead I control individual volumes and layers using the volume knob on the DS and the drawbars on the Ferrofish. The ferrofish has no other volume control.

Check all your levels and try again.

Gary ;)
Good info thanks! I'll try that when I get home. I'm sure I'm using just an instrument cable to the mixer. i better change that also and I'll leave local on but how do I select the ferrofish? The juno has its banks and sounds but how do I navigate to the Ferrofish as a sound bank or sound?

Reaction score
If you can hear the demo from the headphone jack of the mixer then it's not the audio cable. If you have another keyboard try it to rule out the midi cable. If another keyboard plays the unit then it is not the midi cable either.

Reaction score
I'll check thanks. i can't remember if I heard the demo with the phones plugged into the mixer or right into the Ferrofish. The only other keyboard I have at home is a Casio CDP which only has usb out. I have a Roland RD 700 but it is off site at a practice room... I'll get and try another cable. The usb midi is only for using with a computer and audio software I believe...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Using a TS cable to get mono out of the ferrofish is a bad idea. It is shorting out one channel. It could blow the internal audio amp.

What you need is a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS Y adapter to properly balance the load.

In my case I don't switch patches on the ferrofish using the DS88 controls. Like I said, I turn off the volume on either unit or play them both as layers and control the ferrofish with the sliders and the panel controls on the unit itself.

I have the ferrofish mounted above the keyboard so no problems there.

BTW, it may be difficult to find those exact connectors in a single cable so I adapted some other audio adapters and cables to make it work.

I used one of these.

and one of these...

To make it work.l

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks! I think I have those connectors only because I have a big bag of that for the band stuff and alot was from musical theatre so there are many adapters and such cables. I'll look and do as you say.
As for layering the sounds-what makes the Juno play the Ferrofish? I mean when they are connected does the Juno play the Ferrofish automatically without selecting anything? So then it would be playing both sounds at once-the internal Juno sound and the Ferrofish. And you adjust via the volume...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Assuming MIDI OUT and MIDI IN are enabled on both units and everything is set to Channel 1 and MIDI enabled, whatever gets played on the controller gets echoed to MIDI OUT on Channel 1 and anything received on Channel 1 MIDI IN in the ferrofish should be played on that channel note for note.

That's how MIDI basically works.

Sending and receiving MIDI panel controls sometimes requires some more sophisticated setting up, depending on the make and model of the instrument.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I downloaded the manual. One page 26 I saw this:

"MIDI Controllers 7 and 11 are used for volume and expression. Most MIDI pedals send 127...0 for loud...quiet. " Are you using an expression pedal? It is conceivable that the expression is somehow being set to 0 so no volume is being output from the Ferrofish. if you have an expression pedal i would connect it and push the pedal down and see if volume suddenly appears.

Also ensure you are using MIDI In "A" and not MIDI In "B". MIDI in "B" is designed for the lower manual; controls are via MIDI and most likely through MIDI In "A".

Reaction score
Thanks all. Yes I have an expression pedal connected to the Juno. I'll check that also. I just checked and the ferrofish demo plays through the mixer via headphones so that connection is working.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One thing to check is your MIDI settings on the DS88. First Local should be set to ON, Tx Channel should be set to 1, Control Channel should be set to 16, all the other settings should be set to ON, and USB MIDI Driver should be set to GENERIC.

That's how I have mine set up anyway.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I tried all except different cable or keyboard. Im using regular midi cable, not the usb.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm just detailing my settings. My setup works both with MIDI DIN or USB Connections routed thru computer.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm just stating what works for me. My setup works with either the MIDI DIN or the USB routed thru the computer.

To complicate the matter, I have a Behringer Neutron wired up via USB to the computer as well as MIDIed up with an Arturia Beatstep Sequencer wired to MIDI IN on the Neutron and MIDI THRU wired to the Ferrofish.

Depending on how I handle the routing from the computer I can access any of the three devices from the keyboard or the sequencer or even both at the same time.

Gary ;)

Flowchart-studio-b-2020.jpg

Reaction score
Nothing. no luck. Going to get new midi cable but doesn't work via usb miidi cable either anyway. I'll connect the casio via usb just to see....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you are trying to connect the Ferrofish to the DS by USB, do realize that you don't just plug one directly to the other. You have to route the MIDI signals via a computer or a USB MIDI Host adapter. They're both USB MIDI Class Compliant instruments so no drivers need to be loaded, even though Roland has a driver that extends the capabilities of USB MIDI it should not be absolutely necessary to install it.

As for the MIDI cable. It is very possible the cable is a dud. I've run into a few bad MIDI cables in the past.

If you have a DVOM it's pretty simple to test a cable one pin at a time.

Keep us posted.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
@happyrat Hello, i was wondering if I could use my Yahama PSR E433 as a midi computer because I want to start producing on FL studios. If so, which USB cable should I buy and how do I connect it to the keyboard and computer.

Ask a Question