Juno DS issue : high pitch resonnance with microphone

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have this issue with my DS that when I use the microphone, I get this weird high pitch resonance with makes it unusable.

I tried a Shure SM57 and SM58 with a XLR to 1/4 inch adapter, and also with a cable that is XLR to 1/4 and I keep having this problem.

The vocoder works fine though so I can at least use that function.

Any idea of what causes this?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks Gary,

Is the local/global FX in the effects menu?

Any specific tab/setting I should take a look at? I tried playing with the input mic volume and reverb send in System settings / microphone but nothing seems to help.

P

Reaction score
Yeah don’t worry, I studied both manuals and didn’t find the answer, that’s why I’m posting here. Wondering if it has anything to do with the mics I’m using or some obscure settings I could’ve missed.

And yes, I tried adjusting both the knob in the back and the mic fader. There either is no sound or that wild resonance.

But thanks man!

Reaction score
Both were cardioid dynamic microphones.
Feedback is a good hypothesis but I also had the problem with headphones (layout: mic-keyboard-mixer-headphones)

P

Reaction score
It most likely is feedback. Make sure your mic is not in a direct line to the speakers, and/or lower the volume.

Reaction score
I have similar issues with various gear when a USB cable AND a Power Cable are both plugged in.
Suggestion 1: try disconnecting the computer power adapter. If there's no computer in the situation, can you try the DS on batteries, just to see if the squeal disappears?
Suggestion 2: It seems you have ruled this out by trying different connections to the mic, but has it always been the same mic cable itself? It may be that, unless you've used a few different mic cables, regardless of the adaptors. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s just a feedback problem though because I have the same problem with headphones and I don’t hear the microphone signal (or I hear it at very low volume). I believe it’s probably a problem with the keyboard.

Reaction score
I have similar issues with various gear when a USB cable AND a Power Cable are both plugged in.
Suggestion 1: try disconnecting the computer power adapter. If there's no computer in the situation, can you try the DS on batteries, just to see if the squeal disappears?
Suggestion 2: It seems you have ruled this out by trying different connections to the mic, but has it always been the same mic cable itself? It may be that, unless you've used a few different mic cables, regardless of the adaptors. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Thanks! There was no connection to the computer but I will try it on batteries. I did experiment with different mic cables and had the same issue.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like Tommy said, it could be some sort of ground loop issue, or internal resistance noise from a faulty solder joint on an internal component. That woulds be a warranty issue.

One more question, have you tested both mics plugged directly to an amp? Unlikely but both mics could be bad as well.

Doesn't take much to damage a mic. One good drop to a wood or tile floor can do it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The bad guy
36928007-6566-4632-AAE6-780ABBCD9563.jpeg
Oh I’m so happy! I found the problem, with this community’s good advices. The problem was that I used a XLR-TRS adaptor (see photo).

It’s weird because someone handed me a proper XLR-TRS cable before and it didin’t seem to work but I just bought a new 3 ft XLR-TRS and the mic works perfectly now.

Thanks all!

Ask a Question