Juno DS vs korg krome

Reaction score
Hey,

I have have a Juno DS 61 and I wanna to do a upgrade... Is the krome a good option or not necessarily? What other intermediate options (I don't wannna a kronos for example) do you recomend to play gigs and create sounds? Thank you!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Next step up from a DS to me is a Nautilus.

Otherwise it's a lateral transaction with no upside.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
To keep with Roland, up a bit from the FA series is the much newer Fantom 0 series.

Fantom 06 here is c£1200.

FA06 does seem to be out of stock here in the UK, and where they are in stockit yo is £1200, so no contest imo the 0 series wins

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I said USED FA-06, 07, 08 whatever.

Unless he's willing to pay double for what he bought the DS for.

It's not a bad idea to buy used once you decide to upgrade.

It may be older but it's way better than a DS61 and won't break his bank account for the upgrade.

I assume that he wants to sell off the DS.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
To keep with Roland, up a bit from the FA series is the much newer Fantom 0 series.

FA06 does seem to be out of stock here in the UK, and where they are in stockit yo is £1200, so no contest imo the 0 series wi

FA06 does seem to be out of stock here in the UK, and where they are in stockit yo is £1200, so no contest imo the 0 series wins
Thank you for the advice...

Reaction score
I have have a Juno DS 61 and I wanna to do a upgrade... Is the krome a good option or not necessarily? What other intermediate options (I don't wannna a kronos for example) do you recomend to play gigs and create sounds? Thank you!!!

Roland FA is not clearly better than Juno DS... there are a bunch of things the FA does better, there are a bunch of things the Juno DS does better. But a "lateral move" as Gary put it is not necessarily bad, if the strengths and weaknesses better align with your needs.

Fantom-0, OTOH, is better than either the Juno DS or the FA in almost every way (with the main advantage of the FA over the others being in its sequencer).

And sure, you don't need to stick with Roland. Korg, Yamaha, Kurzweil all have "intermediate" boards of the type you're looking at.

I would start with, in what way does the Juno DS seem a little disappointing to you? Are there certain kinds of sounds in particular that you wish were better? Are there certain things you'd like to be doing that either the Juno DS can't do, or you'd like them to be simpler to do than they are on the Juno DS? Do you feel constrained by only having 61 keys? Are you okay with the feel of the action? Are there certain things you know you don't want to give up? (For example, the Juno DS has trigger pads, many other boards don't.) ALL these boards are good, so there's no way to really narrow things down without knowing what your priorities are.

Reaction score
Roland FA is not clearly better than Juno DS... there are a bunch of things the FA does better, there are a bunch of things the Juno DS does better. But a "lateral move" as Gary put it is not necessarily bad, if the strengths and weaknesses better align with your needs.

Fantom-0, OTOH, is better than either the Juno DS or the FA in almost every way (with the main advantage of the FA over the others being in its sequencer).

And sure, you don't need to stick with Roland. Korg, Yamaha, Kurzweil all have "intermediate" boards of the type you're looking at.

I would start with, in what way does the Juno DS seem a little disappointing to you? Are there certain kinds of sounds in particular that you wish were better? Are there certain things you'd like to be doing that either the Juno DS can't do, or you'd like them to be simpler to do than they are on the Juno DS? Do you feel constrained by only having 61 keys? Are you okay with the feel of the action? Are there certain things you know you don't want to give up? (For example, the Juno DS has trigger pads, many other boards don't.) ALL these boards are good, so there's no way to really narrow things down without knowing what your priorities are.
First, thank you for reply!!! Well, now I'm only playing on church (they play music like elevation worship
)... I really love my juno (is easy to navigate on bank and to edit, when I need to put a delay for example is very friendly XD), but I little bit disappointed with "natural sounds" like piano or strings and when I need, and sometimes I need to combine delay with reverb or with a compress, well I think limited...

Reaction score
You may consider a StudioLogic NumaCompact 2 or 2x.. Its cheaper than the JunoDS and is more like a stage piano, but the piano, strings and EP sounds are amazing, has 2 inboard Fx plus master reverb and a very nice semi-weighted 88 keys keybed with AFTERTOUCH. Its also an amazing MIDI controller with 2 midi zones and integrated class-complaint audio interface. The 2x version comes with full organ drawbars, and both models comes with integrated speakers.

Being an stage piano it doesn't have that many sounds like the JunoDS and you can create splits/layers to up 2 sounds only (vs 16 on the JunoDS), but for what you do right now I believe its a solid option, specially if you manage to keep the JunoDS.

Reaction score
Hey,

I cannot comment on the Juno, but I have a Krome 88 and now a Nautilus 61.

First the Krome: I loved my Krome! I am super comfortable with Korg’s workflow and the Krome sounds great. It’s sounds stand up very well to the Nautilus especially in a band situation where subtle details get lost.

I prefer to use one workstation on stage and the Krome was perfect aside from its physical size being a bit much.

Sadly I began to have keys not depressing and could no longer trust it. Up until then I was 100% happy with it.

I discovered the Krome is discontinued and so I had to move up to the Nautilus.

The Nautilus is clearly better for the player (I’m not sure audiences could tell the difference) both in terms of detail in sounds, capabilities, and smooth transitions.
I fell in love with it the moment I played the Italian grand piano, and it deepened when I got into the organ engine.
I haven’t gotten the sampling figured out yet, but my only wish on the whole instrument is that they had given the polysix engine a portamento (the original didn’t have it so Korg kept it authentic….in this case I think it was an unfortunate choice.)

It also has 16 tracks of digital audio plus of course 16 tracks of midi, so it can also function as a daw.

So if you can find a Krome I think they are great and a good bang for the buck, but if you can afford a Nautilus, I think it’s the best choice, but again I’m not so familiar with Roland or Yamaha products.

Ask a Question