Juno DS61 Expansion pack question

Reaction score
I use Roland's Axial Keyboard expansion pack for performing and I've set up a lot of favourites for quick changes. Only one expansion pack can be loaded at one time, but there is a guitar sample on another Axial expansion pack that I'd like to save in my favourites while the Keyboard pack is loaded. Is there a way I can edit the guitar sample slightly and save it, even though the Keyboard pack is the one that's loaded? Thanks in advance.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't think it's doable but you could ask Roland support just to be sure.

I'd like to know myself if it's it's doable.

Post their response here when they get back to you.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I can't find a support number for use in Canada -- the product support is apparently all done through Tribes. I posted a query there a couple of days ago, but haven't had a reply. I'll definitely post any results I get!

Reaction score
Hi, Gary. Thanks for sending me to that Clan forum -- I'd forgotten about that one. I got an answer to the question, and you're right -- it's just not doable. Once the expansion pack is removed, so are all the components used to create the saved patch. Phooey. I guess I'll have to learn more about creating patches in general.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks for finding out definitively that it can't be done.

This will help out the next guy with this problem.

Actually there's quite a few DS owners here on the forums, myself included who needed to know.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I found this a little frustrating too... and I had gone ahead and spent some time collecting my favorite voices from the various expansion packs, editing and saving them to USER slots. As soon as the exp pack changed or thumb drive was removed, those voices became silent, because the necessary waveforms were gone, meaning I lost an hour or two of work. (Roland: maybe have a warning pop up when a user saves an exp voice to user?)

I now just stick with the onboard patches and learned how to edit the effects. Just starting with Pf:S11 (Super Wurly) and changing the effects (43 Delay; 57 LoFi Compress) gives me just about everything I was interested in on the EP exp pack for instance. The onboard effects package is comprehensive but easy to work with (MENU / Edit / Effects Edit) to create variations of voices (download the free Juno DS Parameter Guide PDF for complete info on the effects starting on page 40). You don't need to get into the (much more complex) patch editing

A troubling aspect of working with the expansion packs / thumb drive was how often the loading ended in an Error during the checksum on my DS 61 unit. After a few tries eventually the exp pack will load successfully. Happened on all the exp packs. Seems weird, usually digital stuff either works or it doesn't, right?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd suggest sticking with name brand thumb drives. Either Sandisk or Kingston.

Not all flash drives are created equally and some are barely able to store anything properly at all.

Avoid the cheapo Chinese no name ones.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question