Juno DS61 key touch question

Reaction score
Hi. I would like to edit a patch (in performance mode) so that the volume remains the same whether I hit the keys hard or softly. I have the owner's manual in front of me, but I don't have a hard copy of the Parameter Guide and am not tech-savvy enough to know what terms to search for in the online PG.
Page 16 of the owner's manual says "velocity: 1-127: the transmitted velocity will be fixed, regardless of the force with which you strike the key." So I tried adjusting the "velocity sens offset" setting at 0, +63, and -63, and the sound quality certainly changed, but the volume still varied with how hard I hit the keys. So I must be working on the wrong setting. Can someone please tell me what setting I should look for?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Off the top of my head it should be the velocity curve setting. It should be set at 0 if you want all notes to sound equally.

I'll double check this on my unit tomorrow.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think the only option you have is Velo Curve Light. It only has three settings. Light, Medium and Hard.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Okay, you got me on the right path. Thank you! I still haven't figured out how to change it for a single patch in performance mode, but I did click the "key touch" button and discover some things... There are 3 things I can mess with: Velo Curve (light, medium, hard)... I've chosen "light" because my fingers are not very strong, and when I play the Pf:056 patch (Vintage EP 1), I have a hard time hitting the keys hard enough to get that distinctive crunchy buzzy tone. The second thing, Curve Offset, is already set to zero but can range from -10 to +9 (I guess this isn't the same as the "velocity sens offset" under "patch edit", which ranged from -63 to +63). It doesn't seem to do anything when I turn the dial up or down. The third option is Velocity itself, and it was set to "real," and when I changed that setting to something between 1 and 127, I finally got a consistent volume, no matter how hard or fast I hit the keys. I find that setting the velocity to 121 in Vintage EP 1 gives all the keys that buzzy sound, all the time. Which isn't ideal, but it at least gives me a clue about what search terms to use when I try to use the online Parameter Guide!
I have to change it back to "real" for now, though, because when I hit "exit," I saw "system write completed!" which means it changed everything in the whole keyboard, not just one patch or one patch in a performance.

Ask a Question