Juno DS61 key touch question

Discussion in 'Roland Keyboards' started by Stage Sloth, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Stage Sloth

Stage Sloth

Hi. I would like to edit a patch (in performance mode) so that the volume remains the same whether I hit the keys hard or softly. I have the owner's manual in front of me, but I don't have a hard copy of the Parameter Guide and am not tech-savvy enough to know what terms to search for in the online PG.
    Page 16 of the owner's manual says "velocity: 1-127: the transmitted velocity will be fixed, regardless of the force with which you strike the key." So I tried adjusting the "velocity sens offset" setting at 0, +63, and -63, and the sound quality certainly changed, but the volume still varied with how hard I hit the keys. So I must be working on the wrong setting. Can someone please tell me what setting I should look for?

Stage Sloth, Jul 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Stage Sloth

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

Off the top of my head it should be the velocity curve setting. It should be set at 0 if you want all notes to sound equally.

I'll double check this on my unit tomorrow.

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Jul 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Stage Sloth

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

I think the only option you have is Velo Curve Light. It only has three settings. Light, Medium and Hard.

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Jul 9, 2018
  4. Stage Sloth

Stage Sloth

Okay, you got me on the right path. Thank you! I still haven't figured out how to change it for a single patch in performance mode, but I did click the "key touch" button and discover some things... There are 3 things I can mess with: Velo Curve (light, medium, hard)... I've chosen "light" because my fingers are not very strong, and when I play the Pf:056 patch (Vintage EP 1), I have a hard time hitting the keys hard enough to get that distinctive crunchy buzzy tone. The second thing, Curve Offset, is already set to zero but can range from -10 to +9 (I guess this isn't the same as the "velocity sens offset" under "patch edit", which ranged from -63 to +63). It doesn't seem to do anything when I turn the dial up or down. The third option is Velocity itself, and it was set to "real," and when I changed that setting to something between 1 and 127, I finally got a consistent volume, no matter how hard or fast I hit the keys. I find that setting the velocity to 121 in Vintage EP 1 gives all the keys that buzzy sound, all the time. Which isn't ideal, but it at least gives me a clue about what search terms to use when I try to use the online Parameter Guide!
    I have to change it back to "real" for now, though, because when I hit "exit," I saw "system write completed!" which means it changed everything in the whole keyboard, not just one patch or one patch in a performance.

Stage Sloth, Jul 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question