Juno DS76 any alternatives I should consider?

Reaction score
I'm a guitar player with minimal keyboard experience and I am going to commit to improving my piano skills. Having said that, I want a keyboard that offers performance (bar band) quality sound for live performances under $1,200.00. The most important qualities to me are quality sound of pianos, organs, electric keys, maybe even some strings and horns. (We play a variety of music. Typical bar band stuff) Theres so much gear out there that I'm a bit dizzy. I'm computer literate so USB, interface doesn't scare me. (in fact, I like that idea from an editor perspective). What I don't want to do is "over buy" for things I won't use, like sequencing and building rhythms, techno dance type music. So, before I pull the trigger on the Juno DS76, are there any other keyboards I should consider? Thanks for any insight, I appreciate the help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've seen a Juno DS used on stage by Buffy St. Marie on a televised concert. It's a very respectable instrument and well worth the price.

I'd say you can't go wrong with one.

I own a DS88 myself.

Otherwise, you may want to look at a Korg Kross if you are willing to go 61 or 88 keys.

For a 76, you really don't have a whole lot of other choices.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Despite me being a Korg guy I totally agree with Gary, look no further than the Juno DS and fora keyboard with 70ish keys there can be only one.

The vast advantage that the Juno has over its one and only true competitor the Korg Kross 2 61/88 is that there are hundreds of patches available for the Juno to add in instrument sounds to tailor the DS precisely to your needs whereas in the Kross you would have to create them yourself since official Korg add ons to the Kross 2 are woefully lacking.

Reaction score
I should clarify, I would go either 76 or 61 keys. Same question.

Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
The vast advantage that the Juno has over its one and only true competitor the Korg Kross 2 61/88 is that there are hundreds of patches available for the Juno to add in instrument sounds to tailor the DS precisely to your needs

Unfortunately, you can only add a limited number of patches/axial collections at any one time. That's only 1 collection from Axial for the Juno, 2 for the FA. A very nice feature that's woefully lacking, in my opinion. Kind of ruins it for me...

Reaction score
Four piece band and we play a little of everything. Typical Pop, rock, some standards, modern & classic country, etc. I'm a guitar player, but I also play some mandolin and harmonica. I would never call myself a Mandolin or harmonica player, but I can figure out songs and play them on those instruments. I'd like to go down that path with keys, but build my proficiency, as I have always loved keys.

Reaction score
The most important qualities to me are quality sound of pianos, organs, electric keys, maybe even some strings and horns...I would go either 76 or 61 keys...under $1,200.00
At 61 keys, I think I might take the Roland VR-09 over the Juno DS. It has far fewer features, but it still handles the sounds you want, and is much better for organ.

Reaction score
An alternate to consider is an Arranger keyboard.

25W inbuilt audio amp and speakers so you have monitors right there plus you can output to your PA.

1000 or so different instrument sounds of all kinds plus hundreds of built in accompaniment styles should you wish to go this route or have it as a backup should a group member not be able to make it.

There is an inbuilt Songbook for your rep plus customisable Setlists, each Songbook entry you make is custom so once you have it setup to access it is quick and easy, no spending ages pushing buttons and loading samples.

I have what you see in my signature and the organ sounds in my Arranger especially the Drawbar with switchable Leslie effect is very flexible.

It is within your budget so do checkout the reviews of the Korg PA700.

Reaction score
At 61 keys, I think I might take the Roland VR-09 over the Juno DS. It has far fewer features, but it still handles the sounds you want, and is much better for organ.
That VR-09 is really interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.
I've been looking at the VR-09 and you might be right. This might be the perfect keyboard for me now, given where I am in ability, understanding (or lack of) with regard to sequencing, etc. and the sounds it produces. I'm going try and get my hands on one for a test drive. Thanks

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the VR-09. Thanks everyone for all the great input. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
I own a VR09 and would agree that it has terrific organ sounds probably the best you will find in that price range. The EP's are okay but it falls flat on its face when it comes to acoustic piano's. For up to date in-depth information and comments about pro's and con's of the VR09 as well as tips and settings go to..
v-combo.webspace.rocks

Reaction score
Consider starting your own thread and give a rundown on using it including the Pros and Cons from your point if view

Thatvway it would be in the Yamaha section and of more use to potential buyers.

Ask a Question