JUNO-Gi and Speaker hookup

Reaction score
I just purchased a JUNO-Gi and a Phonic S715 2-way speaker. I think(!) I have followed the directions as to how to connect them but I am not getting any sound in the room. Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What type of output connectors does your Keyboard have? (I'm assuming L/R Mono 1/4" Line Out Connectors?)

What kind of input connectors does your speaker have? (Could be either RCA Phono Type or 1/4" Mono Line Connector?)

Reaction score
What type of output connectors does your Keyboard have? (I'm assuming L/R Mono 1/4" Line Out Connectors?)

What kind of input connectors does your speaker have? (Could be either RCA Phono Type or 1/4" Mono Line Connector?)

You are correct on both counts. They are all 1/4".

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
So I assume since you only have the one speaker, you have connected a mono 1/4" instrument patch cord from the L/Mono Out on the Juno to the 1/4" in on the speaker unit?

Do you have a set of headphones that will fit the headphone jack on the Juno? If so plug them in and see if it plays. That will eliminate the possibility of it being MIDI local control switched off on the keyboard?

If it plays thru the headphones and still won't play thru the speaker, check to see that everything is switched on and volume on both the speaker and the keyboard are switched up to acceptable levels.

Reaction score
Yes, I get sound out of the headphones. The connection you describe for the speaker is how I have tried to connect it. I will check the volumes again. Thanks for your help...and "your" picture!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One thing to be certain of is that you are using a 1/4" MONO cable and NOT Stereo. Check the connector. There should be a metal tip separated by a plastic band from the metal body of the connector. If there are two plastic band separators you are using a stereo patch cable and it probably won't work properly.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just took a look at the Roland Juno Gi manual online and noticed something tricky. There's actually two volume controls on it. There's the volume control knob on the front panel but there's also an output level knob on the rear panel beside the output jacks.

My guess is you have to turn up that second knob just a skooch to get an acceptable output.

Reaction score
The cable has only one plastic ring on the connector. I have tried to turn the volume knobs up in both the front and the back but to no avail. The ones in the back seem to be for audio input. If you happen to view the manual again, one of the things I don't understand is on page 82: Using the local switch. Is "local switch" suppose to mean something specific on the keyboard? There is nothing labeled as such and I just can't figure out from the manual what it is. I do not have an external sequencer which from the diagram leads me to believe that the local switch should be on. They also have a troubleshooting guide beginning on page 140. Just FYI: my connection cable has a resistance of 8 ohms which I am lead to believe is minimal. I have two different cables that I have tried. Also this speaker gets its power directly from the keyboard. There is no plug to use in a wall outlet.
I appreciate all you've suggested! Thank you!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK sweetie. We just found your problem. The keyboard outputs are in the millivolt range. You MUST use a powered speaker or amplifier to hear any output.

Get yourself a proper keyboard amplifier from a music store or a pair of powered monitors like these.

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=3&P_ID=15217&PT_ID=133

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=5&P_ID=28661&PT_ID=239

The Line Level Output knob I mentioned is listed on page twelve of the manual and is listed as Level to the immediate left of the output jacks.

The Local Switch on page 82 is for MIDI connections where you're using an external controller or a MIDI sequencer software and if you are getting sound out of your headphones when you hit a key it is properly set. For normal play and use it should be set to ON.

Anyway, YOU MUST buy powered speakers to get any sound out of the beast. Without an amplifier it's like trying to plug 8 ohm speakers directly into the phono output of a record player or a CD player. There's simply not enough juice to drive a speaker. Also, Line level impedance at the amp input should be between 10Kohm and 100Kohm. Pluging your outputs directly into a low impedance speaker could blow them out. STOP DOING THAT IMMEDIATELY if that's what you've been doing.

Get yourself a proper powered amp with the correct line level impedance, (ie. a musical instrument amp) and then connect to the inputs.

I hope you haven't fried your outputs already trying to drive a low impedance speaker directly.

Let us know how things work out for ya.

Gary...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK I just looked at the Phonic S715 speakers. They are low impedance PA speakers. They are not amplified. You MUST buy a PA Amplifier to drive those monsters.

Stop feeding the line out to those monsters IMMEDIATELY.

To drive that monster you need a separate amp like one of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/live-power-amplifiers

If this is for a live gig in a hall that's the only reason anyone would need that kind of power. In a home it's sheer overkill.

For home use all you need are some powered monitor speakers or a small 40 - 80 watt keyboard amp like the Behringer or the M-Audios I listed.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I am just wondering who told you it was OK to buy an unpowered speaker to drive a professional quality keyboard?

I hope you can get your money back on it and buy something more suitable.

If you bought it online with no advice I can understand it but if you bought it from a local music store that salesman should be shot.

Keep us posted on how things work out for ya.

Reaction score
BTW, I am just wondering who told you it was OK to buy an unpowered speaker to drive a professional quality keyboard?

I hope you can get your money back on it and buy something more suitable.

If you bought it online with no advice I can understand it but if you bought it from a local music store that salesman should be shot.

Keep us posted on how things work out for ya.

Reaction score
It was not a local salesman that gave me the advice. It was me thinking that a speaker could be powered by the keyboard connection, much like a microphone could be. Reflecting on that thought has made me see how goofy a thought that was because I I didn't realize how powerful the speaker is. I'm getting an amplifier to see just how powerful the sound is and then I'll decide to send it back (HA)...but I'm writing my own music and who knows, I might flood the neighborhood with "good vibes"! Seriously, I will let you know how things go with the amplifier. You couldn't have been more generous with your time or details. Thanks so much!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks for the praise. I wish you luck with your music. BTW, your keyboard is a stereo device and so is your amplifier if you bought the right one. In that case you'll need a second identical speaker to hear truly balanced sound.

Which amp did you end up buying? Could you post a link?

Honestly anything above 200 watts RMS would be overkill. In a home sized room you won't need more than 40 or 50 watts before your ears start to bleed :D :D :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Really I took another look at that Phonic S 715. That speaker has a 15" woofer and 400 Watt continuous power handling capability. Any amp that drives that anywhere close to its rated output will be loud enough to play a dance in a high school gymnasium.

In a home setting, typical listening levels anywhere above 20 watts are usually enough to have your neighbours calling the cops with a noise complaint.

Typical listening levels for a stereo in a living room are between 5 and 10 watts at a comfortable level.

If you have a pair of 40 watt amps or powered monitor speakers in your home studio that is more than enough overhead to handle the transient peaks and rock the whole house at any party.

If you have a couple of those S715's powered by a 200 Watt PA you will literally be able to vibrate the glass in your windows.

In all good conscience, my advice to you is to send the S715 back and order a decent pair of studio monitors in the 30 to 100 watt range. It will save you money and it will provide the best bang for the buck.

Here's some likely candidates for what you need.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/studio-monitors?_requestid=42741

Get a pair of those instead of that 15" monster and you will not be disappointed. Speaker technology has come a long way in the past 30 years and bigger no longer means better.

In fact, you could even use your own home stereo as a set of monitors if you have a half decent set with aux inputs. just get a cable like this one and you are good to go. Give it a try before you blow $400 on a PA system that's better suited to a hockey arena than your living room :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-1-4--rca-dual-patch-cable/330490000000154

Seriously, try the cable first and see how much noise your ears can take before they start to bleed :) And turn all your volume controls down to minimum and edge them up gradually the first time you try them so you don't blow out any speakers or gear.

Reaction score
Really I took another look at that Phonic S 715. That speaker has a 15" woofer and 400 Watt continuous power handling capability. Any amp that drives that anywhere close to its rated output will be loud enough to play a dance in a high school gymnasium.

In a home setting, typical listening levels anywhere above 20 watts are usually enough to have your neighbours calling the cops with a noise complaint.

Typical listening levels for a stereo in a living room are between 5 and 10 watts at a comfortable level.

If you have a pair of 40 watt amps or powered monitor speakers in your home studio that is more than enough overhead to handle the transient peaks and rock the whole house at any party.

If you have a couple of those S715's powered by a 200 Watt PA you will literally be able to vibrate the glass in your windows.

In all good conscience, my advice to you is to send the S715 back and order a decent pair of studio monitors in the 30 to 100 watt range. It will save you money and it will provide the best bang for the buck.

Here's some likely candidates for what you need.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/studio-monitors?_requestid=42741

Get a pair of those instead of that 15" monster and you will not be disappointed. Speaker technology has come a long way in the past 30 years and bigger no longer means better.

In fact, you could even use your own home stereo as a set of monitors if you have a half decent set with aux inputs. just get a cable like this one and you are good to go. Give it a try before you blow $400 on a PA system that's better suited to a hockey arena than your living room :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-1-4--rca-dual-patch-cable/330490000000154

Seriously, try the cable first and see how much noise your ears can take before they start to bleed :) And turn all your volume controls down to minimum and edge them up gradually the first time you try them so you don't blow out any speakers or gear.

Reaction score
After looking at the two you suggested (and others) I ordered the Behringer 450 FX, one of the two you suggested. It is supposed to come this coming week. I only ordered one and if I like it I imagine I'll get the second one so that I can sound fabulous:confused:! Thanks for the cable info as well! Thank you for ALL your help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Good for you Rosemary. I own actually both a set of BX5's and a Behringher 450 FX and it will not disappoint you. It has stereo inputs but sadly only mono output, but it also has a wide range of concert hall and echo and DSP effects thrown in for the bargain. I'm certain you will enjoy using it and definitely do spring for a second one later on so that you can enjoy stereo output.

Here's looking forward to your fabulous music in the future...

Gary

Ask a Question