Just a midi editor/sequencer for macOS?

Reaction score
Hello, what midi editor/sequencer (just midi) would you suggest for a macOS user?
I used to have a very old cakewalk version running on a virtual pc, but I hate wasting 20GB just for that
I prefer a 1off purchase rather than subscription based licenses (of course free/opensource would be great as well)
I see Apple Logic Pro or Cubase are quite popular but I'm wondering if is there anything less expensive?
Needed functions are just related to editing midifiles, individual track parameters, midi events in single tracks/channels, pianoroll (possibly score view), open/save .mid format
Thanks for suggestions
ciao
Ste

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of Tracktion?

Their business model is different than other DAWs' because the free version is the complete DAW with no crippled features, but it's two versions old.

The next-newest version (one version old) is the licensed version that's bundled with certain audio/MIDI purchases from other companies.

And the newest version is pretty affordable.

I don't think it comes with virtual instruments-- you buy those separately, or supply your own-- but you can try the free version to see if it would be sufficient for your needs.

It's available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.

Reaction score
Hi SeaGtGruff and thanks for reply
I'll take a look tho' I'm not considering a DAW: I just have 1 keyboard with built-in speakers (Roland BK-5) to play midifiles from a pendrive. I don't want to have a master keyboard connected to my Mac and then further gear like speakers, mixer etc etc: just 1 keyboard and my voice.
I'm looking for a software on Mac to edit midifiles (open and save .mid format) and hoped to find something cheaper than €200 (Logic) for a limited hobby.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
A good DAW can be used for that sort of thing-- especially when you toss in requests such as being able to edit in a piano roll or notation view. I'm not sure if Tracktion Waveform Free will suit your needs and wishes 100%, but it doesn't cost anything to try it-- and, if it does suit your needs and wishes, it's free to keep using it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're looking for something that plays well with VSTi and a simple controller, take a look at Bitwig Studios. Very nice suite of instruments included with the deluxe license.

Plus it's open source friendly. Runs well on Linux as well as Mac and Windows.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
thank you, I will take a look
again, priority is to edit midifiles (open and save, possibly without using proprietary formats)
DAW/VSTi would only be useful to listen to result from the computer when working offline
but since the usage is from the sound module of the instrument, I prefer to listen to song as it gets actually played by the BK-5 (connected to the computer only while editing)

Reaction score
There are free trial versions available of the DAW’s mentioned above.

That said by the time you have bought other DAW’s you might as well buy Logic.

As it is you could try Apple’s own free Garage Band to see if that will do what you seek.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, but there's an app called MidiKit on the Mac App Store that might at least do the basics of what you want.

Reaction score
There are free trial versions available of the DAW’s mentioned above.

That said by the time you have bought other DAW’s you might as well buy Logic.

As it is you could try Apple’s own free Garage Band to see if that will do what you seek.
I’m pretty sure Garage Band does not allow exporting midi (at least it didn’t used to) though, if that’s important. The free DAW versions you get with many equipment purchases (such as Ableton Live Lite or Cubase AI) are good for basic requirements.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Since this was originally posted, I went with mac as well and ended up choosing Logic Pro X.

One reason was that it's supported by Apple itself and has free updates.

The price is reasonable compare to Cubase and after a year's learning curve. I'm up to speed.

I used to be a cakewalk user as well.

Ask a Question