Just a noob question...

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to keyboards/synths and am totally technologically challenged, so I hope I don't offend anyone (teehee) :

I'm looking for a keyboard I could use (by itself) for writing/recording full, fleshed out songs for my (future) band, with guitars, bass, drums, keys, etc (so I guess that's at least 5 different tracks or something?).
I'd like it to be portable, and I'd like the arpeggiator to be capable of programming odd time signatures (6/8, 9/4, etc). If possible, I'd like to pay under $250 for it (used is ok). Although it would mainly be used for writing parts, any sampling/modeling would be nice...

Does anything like this exist in a low price range? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ^.^

Reaction score
Noob question

E7os,

It sounds like what you're describing is a class of keyboards called "workstations". These are usually ROM sample based keyboards with at least 8 tracks of digital sequencing available, used for live playing but also for writing/creating songs. They normally feature typical sounds like piano, EP, organs, strings, brass, guitars, synth, drums, etc. They usually have arpeggiators as well. You didn't mention if you want onboard speakers but usually these types of keyboards don't have them.

The big three manufacturers are Yamaha (Motif series, MO series,) Roland (Fantom series)and Korg (M50, M1,) but all keyboards in this class are going to be more expensive than $250. I'm very partial to the Motif but the M50 is also a good choice.

A used 61 key version of a workstation might be possible for about $650 - $750)

There is also a class of keyboards called "arrangers" that do even more along the lines of putting complex songs together but I am not that familiar with them.

Google these terms and manufacturers and also visit some online music stores (Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Musician's friend, etc.) and learn more about what's out there and what they do (and don't do) to familiarize yourself with the different options.

Hope that helps somewhat! :)

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the help, aellison62. ^^

A friend of mine mentioned the M50 and Motif- I'll have to check them out.
I could always get a cheap controller and buy some software, but that will add up, too. I guess I'm going to have to start saving up. lol Thanks again!

Reaction score
Noob question

e7os,

Glad to help, also, I forgot about one other Korg model, the Triton series (Triton pro, Trito LE, Triton extreme(the best one), which you can find used for about same price as I said before.

Controller and software can add up as you said and it's not that portable either.

Keep saving, you'll be glad you did !!

Reaction score
Thanks again, aellison62. Yeah, a few people I know are recommending that I go the controller/software route (and save up for a Mac Mini), but I'm thinking I should start with a workstation, too. Peace! ^^

Ask a Question