Just got a Juno DS88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just yesterday received a Juno DS88. I also have an acoustic piano at home. I bought the Juno for practicing. I just began to play again after about 15 years.
I

I was experimenting with Midi in garageband. Garageband sees the juno but doesn't play the juno sounds. Also the DAW control is not working. I must be doing something wrong.
I would like to record myself practicing and have the sounds of the Juno be recorded.
The manual isn't much help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Welcome

Great choice of keyboard.

I will leave it to members with a Juno to advise further on your MIDI connectivity (they know far more than I about MIDI)

Reaction score
It's only been a few days so i hope to figure everything out soon. I did put a call in to Roland TEch support to see if they can figure out why i can't connect to my ipad.
I just want to be able to record easily.

Reaction score
I have an iPad Pro with the USB c not the lightning. I have a cable that is the proper connection in juno and the usbc in the other end to fit into the iPad so I don’t need an adapter.
it doesn’t work. When I hook the Juno to my iPhone which has the lightning connector it works but it only plays the garage band sounds.
I can’t switch the sounds in the Juno when connected.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The USB connection only transmits MIDI data back and forth between the iPad and the Juno. NOT Audio.

If you also wish to record Audio you'll need a connection between the audio outputs of the Juno and the Audio input of the iPad.

EDIT >>> If you want the iPad to play back a MIDI sequence on the Juno you'll first have to configure the Garageband Software to recognize and transmit Juno MIDI voice changes for your board. I'm not sure if Garageband can do that. You may have to install a commercial DAW to accomplish this.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I can’t even get it to do midi in the iPad. Maybe there is some setting I am not toggling? Works fine on the iMac with usbc and my iPhone with lightning adapter.
In the manual I Think it says the Juno supports audio over usb also.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am not an apple guy. I'm a linux guy so you're on your own when it comes to taming your OS.

Have you tried a simple MIDI Player program to see if that can play thru on your Juno yet? If that works then you know the problem is Garageband and not your hardware.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Whilst I do use an iPad with my current keyboard and it has functioned well with prior keyboards that I have had it is not the Pro version.

If you are just using a cable and no adaptor that may be your problem.

Apple iPads seem to need an adaptor of various forms between MIDI device and the Tablet itself.

EG
On standard iPads with Lightning connectors we need the Apple Camera Adaptor unit to enable comms to take place, it does need to be an Apple product as there is a chip in the adaptor that the operating system uses.

This is the text description for the adaptor.
With the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, it’s easy to transfer photos and videos from your high-resolution digital camera to your iPad Pro. After you connect the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, your iPad Pro automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose photos and videos to import, then organises them into albums.
Add even greater capability and versatility to your iPad Pro by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD and more.
The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro and 10.5-inch iPad Pro transfers data at USB 3 speeds, while the 9.7-inch iPad Pro uses USB 2.
I am clutching at straws but I did find online issues with using a Pro and that these were solved by using a specific connectivity method.

Reaction score
I think you may be right. The only thing I can see that may work is the Apple multiport connector which is $69.00
in usual Apple fashion, overpriced accessories.
for now I’ll stick with my iPhone. Or use Hubby’s iPad since he has an older one and it worked fine this morning.
now if I can only figure out DAW control...

Reaction score
For the Ipad issue, you need to go to System config in your Juno DS (Menu -> System), go to the MIDI tab and change your "USB Driver" value to "GENERIC".

For the Logic Pro issue, be sure to install the appropiate Roland OSX Driver correctly (specially if you are running on Catalina). Check this page: https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/juno-ds61/updates_drivers/, download the appropiate driver for your MacOS version and follow the instructions carefully.

Once installed, you connect your Juno DS to your Mac using the USB cable and both OSX and Logic Pro will recognize the Juno's sound interface (see attache image). Then, in your Logic Pro you can add an Audio track and choose Juno DS as your input source; this will allow you to record your Juno DS's sounds directly (remember to activate the monitor option for the track or you won't listen what you play). You can also add a Software Instrument track and use your Juno DS as a MIDI controller to record midi events on your track.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 02.27.53.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 02.27.53.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 121
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just yesterday received a Juno DS88. I also have an acoustic piano at home. I bought the Juno for practicing. I just began to play again after about 15 years.
I

I was experimenting with Midi in garageband. Garageband sees the juno but doesn't play the juno sounds. Also the DAW control is not working. I must be doing something wrong.
I would like to record myself practicing and have the sounds of the Juno be recorded.
The manual isn't much help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please don't forget to update your firmware . The juno ds had a lot of connectivity problems with midi. They only just fixed it 2 years later after I bought it.

Reaction score
Thanks. I had updated firmware upon opening. I am having a great time with the keyboard. I haven’t really used the sequencer yet but would like to.

Ask a Question