Just Got Genuine Software VB3 Organ For M50

Reaction score
Hey organ guys. I'm an ole B-3/Leslie player from years back, but sold it in the early 70's to pay first semester tuition at Berklee, so I could learn how to arrange and learn jazz piano in the style of Bill Evans, Oscar P, Chick Corea, etc. Berklee at that time only had acoustic pianos and Rhodes and didn't have any B-3s anyway.

So I did a lot of research to find a good VI B-3 software and downloaded NI discontinued B4II demo which runs full function through GarageBand for 20 minutes at a time.

In my opinion, the B4II sounded very realistic and was about $200, plus NI offered a drawbar controller to MIDI up to a keyboard to run the software like a real B3. I think the list price on that NI controller was $399. B4II has many features, many configurations, many options that a real B-3 didn't have and it ran perfectly in demo mode. But just when I got ready to order the VI B4II software from Musician's Friend and the NI Drawbar controller, both items were discontinued. So I still use the B4II demo. But I have no drawbar controller or any known way to control the drawbars from the M50.

So last night I ordered/downloaded Genuine Software's VB3 Virtual tonewheel organ which goes for Euro 49, quite cheaper than NI B4II pack. It runs through the M40 into the USB to the MacBook and GarageBand. I must say, it is quite impressive. Although there are some differences between the two programs, the VB3 is one of the most realistic B-3 clones I ever heard, as good as the NORD C2 organ and the Leslie simulator on the VB3 is very authentic.

But the question now is, since the NI drawbar controllers are discontinued and nothing similar available, is there anyway to controll the software from the M50 and set up some kind of drawbar system? Of course being new to the software, I'm studying the manual to see what it says.

Is anyone here running the VB3 tone wheel organ software through their M50, M3, Oasys, Triton? If so, any tricks or advice you can share? Thanks

katt

Reaction score
VB3 is awesome!! The organ is as-good as B4 II, and the Leslie is much better. VB3 is being used as the internal sound for a new Hammond clone.

In Windows you right-click drawbar and that brings up a MIDI-Mapping menu, you can manually assign, or click MIDI-Learn. Not that familiar with Macs, sorry. I thought Macs only had 1 mouse button (??) so not sure how that works. You can always email the author, Guido. He's really helpful.

I'm running VB3 through a Yamahna NC30 digital grand. At the moment the only thing I have mapped is my (half damper) sustain pedal, which I have mapped to Leslie speed. Unlike the real Hammond, the sustain pedal can be used to sustain notes - the advantage of emulation over real-life.

I was looking at getting a cheap Korg nanoKontrol to provide drawbars, plus buttons for various things I want to switch live (because my NC30 is very lite in terms of MIDI buttons and switches), though I might consider if it's worth saving for the Behringer BCF2000.

Reaction score
I can vouch for the nanokontrol, it works great! although the BCF2000 has mechanical faders so it can memorize settings, but i usually do it on the fly anyways.

Ask a Question