Just Joined

Reaction score
Hi All
My name is Alan and i am 73 years old,
I have been playing guitar for 60 years and decided i would like a different challenge so Keyboard
is what i decided on.

I have put a post in the beginners section asking for recommendations for a first book Amazon
has so many to choose from its a minefield.

I live in the Northwest UK and my other hobby is Amateur Radio or Ham Radio as its called in USA.
And so the journey begins hopefully i will have enough years left to make some inroads into my new pastime.

Best wishes to everyone Keep Safe.

Alan

Reaction score
Hello then neighbour.

If you do seek out another keyboard then there are quite a few Music Stores in the NW that have a lot of keyboards, A&C Hamilton in Preston, Promenade Music in Morecambe, Rimmers in Leyland, but their Bolton store has a huge selection.

For probably the better choice of MIDI keyboard controllers and keyboards above beginner level then Music Matter in Preston is the one to check out.

PMT in Manchester goes without saying has a huge selection.

If you can then its worth calling in and checking out some kit but do take a set of headphones with you.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, Alan! I hope you enjoy the keyboards. :)

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Many thanks for the welcome messages and info.
My new M-Audio Controller Keyboard arrived this morning and I have yet to
unpack it.
I do have some sounds in my computer through Cubase but I will be on the look out for something
better once I get to grips with the keys.
Thanks again
Alan

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're going to be using a keyboard controller to play software instruments, you might want to read a bit about the issue of latency, where you play a key on the keyboard controller and the sound from the software instrument takes a fraction of a second or longer before it comes out of the computer's speakers.

Cubase should have ASIO drivers, and if you select an ASIO driver and lower the size of your audio buffer then you should be able to greatly reduce the amount of latency. Of course, if you've already got Cubase for recording your guitar then perhaps you're already familiar with latency and how to reduce it. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Michael
Yes Latency is important and i can honestly say i have never had a problem with it but it is important to point it out to beginners who may wonder just what is happening.

Reaction score
Hi All
My name is Alan and i am 73 years old,
I have been playing guitar for 60 years and decided i would like a different challenge so Keyboard
is what i decided on.

I have put a post in the beginners section asking for recommendations for a first book Amazon
has so many to choose from its a minefield.

I live in the Northwest UK and my other hobby is Amateur Radio or Ham Radio as its called in USA.
And so the journey begins hopefully i will have enough years left to make some inroads into my new pastime.

Best wishes to everyone Keep Safe.

Alan
Hi and welcome! I just sent you a message.

Ask a Question