Just picked up a Yamaha YPT 400 Now What?

Reaction score
Hello for the first time. Just won a YPT 400 on eBay. It will be here in a few days. Till then, is there any online manual available for this thing?

I'm just a beginner, with a little experience on reed organs (OK, I have three), so I'm betting the learning curve on this is going to be steep! Any help appreciated. Anyone with a similar organ wantin' to yack, just send me a PM

Regards,

Searchinferu (Bill)

Reaction score
Thanks Yman. I posted a reply via my phone earlier, but it didnt seem to show up here. Yesterday I did an internet search for a manual for thYPT 400. When I clicked on a search link, it took me to a download for the PSRE 403. I don't know much about Yamaha yet, but it would seem that these radically different model numbers might perhaps be the same organ, but packaged for a different market? ie. Europe, Asia, United States, etc.

Not that I have the manual, is there somewhere to download the Getting Started CD, as the seller says she didnt have that either? In the interest of teachin a man to fish as apposed to just giving him one, is there a good place to look for all this support stuff? I couldn't get the Yamaha site to give up much yesterday....Bill

The Y_man

Reaction score
Not that I have the manual, is there somewhere to download the Getting Started CD, as the seller says she didnt have that either? In the interest of teachin a man to fish as apposed to just giving him one, is there a good place to look for all this support stuff? I couldn't get the Yamaha site to give up much yesterday....Bill

Good man - I like the attitude of "show me how to fish" :)

Yes, Yamaha have different names for different markets (bit like cars). So here in Australia, the YPT-400 is called a PSRE-403

The software is likely just USB drivers etc - on the Yamaha site, I usually go to the Yamaha site which in my country is http://au.yamaha.com/

From there I click on "Support"

and then "Downloads"

Alternatively, you can just go straight to
http://download.yamaha.com/top/?site=au.yamaha.com&language=en

Then select "Piano and Keyboards" in the first column,
"Keyboards" in the second
"PSRE-403" in the third
You'll find manuals in different languages as well as software drivers come up.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Bill, by far the psrtutorial.com is the best forum for info, lessons, questions etc etc special for Yamaha owners. It is aming mostly for the mid range and high-end keyboards but there is an ocean of info to get.

Reaction score
Dick, thanks so much for that link. I checked it out and although I will be the 'poor boy' on the block, it will indeed be a great place to help me get my feet wet.

It seems this forums members are a bit spread out. As I have received posts from Melborne and Bali in just the first two days! My main musical passion is the reed organ. I volunteer twice a month at an Organ Museum workshop and am learning the art of restoring these wonderful instruments. I now have three in my home, all were originally 2 manual chruch organs. My Doherty Victorian was first installed in an Ontario church in 1900. It's amazing how these century and more old organs find there way around the planet, extending out from their production in Europe, America, Canada, and even Japan to just about every last country on earth. I'm an airline pilot by trade, but it never stops to amaze me how a simple post on the net can draw interest from who knows where.

Anyway, I tend to wander off a little every now and then. Back to this century's problem. The Y-man got me to the right place on the manufacturer's forum and I was able to download the manual and drivers I will need. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the CD that contained the aditional seventy songs. So, I reposted and probably somebody in China or Souht America will come to my rescue! Smile.

Reaction score
No problem Bill, my pleasure and there is no 'poor boy' on the block. You will find forummembers on most music-keyboard-fora most helpful with any question you might have and we all had to start one day.

I LOVE these classic reed-organs but don't see many around anymore. Church Pipeorgans, the BIG ones, are my favorite instrument but can't have one at home :D.
Anyway try other fora for the CD (or a copy) and midi-songs you can download by the thousands for free from internet.
Have fun with your Yammie, you will discover a lot.

Ask a Question