K2600 Question

Reaction score
Hi - I have two K2600XS keyboards and am totally baffled about the following issue:

I wrote a song that uses the program 20 Rock Organ.

When I play the song on one keyboard, the Rock Organ sound has a wonderful effect that moves the sound kind of slowly from pan left to pan right that creates this slow moving whoosh kind of feeling.

But when I play the exact same song on the other keyboard, the Rock Organ sound, though nice, doesn't move at all.

So, I highlighted Program 20 on both keyboards, and then hit the Effects button, and compared the settings and they are exactly the same.

There must be some change I need to make to a setting on the 2nd keyboard so I can dial in that wonderful panning effect but I have no idea what that might be.

Does anyone out there have any idea what I need to do?

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thank you.

Scott

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It might be worth a shot to dump a Full Backup of the good sounding keyboard to a memory card and restore the inferior sounding one with the good backup.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary, that is a good idea and I actually did that before writing the forum, i.e., I re-loaded the inferior keyboard with the songs from the backup of the good keyboard and it still did not work. Which is why I am wondering if there is something I need to adjust on the inferior board to create the missing pan effect. I'm just not that about knowledgeable about KDFX and adding effects like this to a program sound.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No. I am talking about a FULL SYSTEM BACKUP of the superior board cloned to the inferior one.

Otherwise the only other factors are slider and knob positions which I assume you've already discounted.

Otherwise a full backup of all operating parameters will instantly either work or prove there is a physical difference between the boards.

This is based on the assumption that all external conditions are equal. (ie. same speakers and effects pedals attached identically.)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW. Are both boards updated with the same firmware version?

That could be the culprit right there.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I think you may have nailed it although it seems counter-intuitive: the good keyboard is running 4.0 and the inferior board is running 4.11, so why would a later firmware version eliminate a great effect on a program? Would you suggest "downgrading" the 4.11 to 4.0 on the inferior and see what happens?

And when you say do a FULL SYSTEM BACKUP of the superior board "cloned to the inferior one", what do mean by cloning? I saved the song on the good board to a 250 zip drive and then loaded it onto the inferior board. Is cloning different?

I really appreciate your assistance.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yes, if you have both firmwares, then that probably is the source of the problem.

If you want to downgrade firmware on the misbehaving board the YOU MUST Contact Jean at Kurzweil Support and check with him first. Firmware upgrades and downgrades can be tricky and can end up bricking a board on a good day.

As for full system backup, my PC3K8 gives me the option to back up all patches and default settings to a single file on a flash drive,

One important fact though. Backups from differing versions could have unexpected consequences when applied to a unit that has a different firmware.

Like I said, see if you have both firmware install files handy. Do full backups and follow the directions in the Kurzweil Knowledge base to perform the upgrades. Then you can restore the other board from the system backup.

BE WARNED THIS PROCEDURE COULD BRICK YOUR KEYBOARD!!!

DO CHECK WITH KURZWEIL FIRST.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question