Keep forgetting previous songs, why?

Reaction score
After understanding music theory n the understanding of proper basics of piano. I finally made myself able to learn songs (my dream). I give huge amount of a time in practicing piano songs n I do practice them consistently. After learning 15 songs, I now can't give time in practicing previous songs n when I played just after a week, I have realized many chunks of song are missing. I then again leaned n then again forget.

It started to feel like burden. I invested in piano to enjoy it. And I treat piano playing as my passion not profession.

I thought I would play it in my friends zone, or when I have certain mood swings. But here I am playing every day n now my favorite piano pieces have started irritating me. What am I doing wrong, sorry for long message but I am really depressed believe me

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First question. Are you listening to yourself play or are you concentrating so hard on following the sheet music that you don't actually listen to yourself play?

Here's a suggestion. Apart from ear training you should record yourself playing and listen to the songs over and over again. After all, when a popular song sticks in our heads it is usually after listening to it a hundred times over on the radio or on a CD.

If you really want to know a song you have to listen to it over and over until you capture all the nuances of the melody and lyrics along with the accompanying instrumentals.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I sufferer from the same affliction. There are only so many songs I am mentally and physically able to maintain proficiency at simultaneously.

My advice: Don’t stress! What I have realised is that the songs I’ve learned never really go away. When I need them I am able to retrieve them by re-reading my charts and with practice.

Enjoy your playing and don’t over think it.

Reaction score
I sufferer from the same affliction. There are only so many songs I am mentally and physically able to maintain proficiency at simultaneously.

My advice: Don’t stress! What I have realised is that the songs I’ve learned never really go away. When I need them I am able to retrieve them by re-reading my charts and with practice.

Enjoy your playing and don’t over think it.
thank you so I don't need to practice it, when so ever I have certain mood to play by concentrating few times I will be able to play. and I have tried it n it really works!

Reaction score
Sage advice from Paul.

Me I just open one of my many songbooks and learn something new.

I do not practice the same song over and over again, for me this does not work.

Little and often

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Strange for me . . Say a tune I learnt a month ago is fresh in my mind but I can some times struggle with it making mistakes. However, if I bring up a tune which I have not played for a very long time, it usually flows smoothly. My brain recalls it perfectly. Fingers work fluently.
Maybe that is am age thing. Short term memory loss.

Ask a Question