Key Release Noise on Yamaha YPG-625

Reaction score
A few months ago I acquired a used Yamaha YPG-625 digital keyboard. When any of the keys are released, they make an irritating "clunking" sound when they return to their original position. There is a strip of felt between the keys themselves & the part of the keyboard where the pivot end of the keys make contact upon release. I assume that these contact points are the source of the "clunking" sound. However, without disassembling the keyboard, I do not know for sure.

This "clunking" sound is the same for all of the keys. Therefore, I am assuming that the felt interface is not the culprit. If it were, it seems that the keys that have been played most frequently would create the loudest "clunk". Since this keyboard is the only one with which I am familiar, I am wondering if this issue is characteristic of digital keyboards in general, especially those in the lower price range.

Any information that you can offer would be most appreciated. Ideally, some of you might have addressed this problem with a DIY fix.

Thank you so much.

Kit

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I discovered a similar “keyboard noise” issue when reviewing the Kawai ES920. I purchased the ES920 two years ago and I cannot hear nor feel the noise from the keys while playing it. You can only hear it when the keyboard is actually turned off, (and it definitely makes noise). I would suspect that if you could “turn off” the power on an acoustic piano (which obviously you can’t), you’d hear the exact same noise, but you don’t hear any complaints from pianists regarding this on an acoustic piano. I hope for you, that the noise is at a minimum on your Yamaha YPG-625 and not too distracting

Reaction score
Bill,

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately the noise is very distracting when playing (especially when NOT wearing headphones. It is my understanding that some noise is inherent with weighted keys. But what I am experiencing is excessive.

At this point my plan is to replace the felt cushioning strip that the keys hit when they are released. Apparently the felt wears over time. Since I will have the keyboard apart, I want to clean everything & see if there might be something else causing the "clunking" noise.

If anyone has had experience with a similar issue, I would really appreciate your thoughts & recommendations in diagnosing this problem. Thank you so much.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are youtube videos about replacing the felt bumpers on keyboards.

One precaution is to avoid overstuffing the felt because it will result in the keys not rising enough to trip the velocity switches.

Reaction score
I have indeed checked out the videos & the replacement of the felt seems straightforward (although a bit time-consuming).

Another piece of information I need to know is whether the is a bottom felt strip on the Yamaha YPG-625. It makes sense to replace both felts as long as the keyboard is apart.

Ask a Question