Keyboard Amp or Powered Speakers

Reaction score
I just purchased a Yamaha MOFX8 and now am looking for decent speakers. I will be playing small gigs with hand drums (no mic), vocals, banjo/acoustic guitar.
I would like something that will do justice to the acoustic piano sounds. My budget is $300-$400. I would like stereo sound. I have been looking at the JBL EON 515xt or the JBL EON 315 powered speakers, but can only afford one right now. Also, the Roland keyboard amp KC110 is a possibility. If any one have heard or used these or any other speakers your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking for something that runs on less watts. I forgot to mention that I have a solar power setup with a little inverter of 300 watts. So that's another factor.

What do you all think about the Yamaha Stagepas 300?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! However, neither of these seem like the right choice for my needs.

The EV ZX190 would be great however, I am looking for active powered rather than passive. Love that they are made in the good ol' USA.

The KRK Rokit 8's seem like they are meant to stay in a studio setting rather than hauled around to gigs.

Any thoughts on the JBL Eon 315?

Reaction score
Hi Crystal,

I use an EON 515XT as a foldback wedge as part of my live rig, and in the rehearsal room. I'm very happy with how it sounds. I don't run any Yamaha 'boards but the JBL reproduces the acoustic piano sounds from my Kurzweil and Korgs very nicely. I've never tried the EON 315 so can't comment on that sorry.

I've personally never been a big fan of the way keyboard amps sound. Over the years I've always used either a bass combo or PA speakers.

Cheers!

Reaction score
The KRK Rokit 8's seem like they are meant to stay in a studio setting rather than hauled around to gigs.

Any thoughts on the JBL Eon 315?

The KRK Rokits are excellent, particularly if you don't need more than about 105 dB and if you're working in a relatively small area. Mine travel in a pair of small flight cases. The color and accuracy are outstanding, especially in the lower registers.

If projection and power are more important to you, I'd leave the JBL Eon 315s alone and go with a Carvin PM15A. The mini-mixer on the back is extremely useful, the Carvin has far cleaner sound and better bottom (more power available). The best I can say is that the JBL specs are overstated, the Carvins much understated in this case.

Ask a Question