Keyboard amp suggestions

Reaction score
Hi all

I currently own a Carlsbro Colt 100 which was given to me for free from my current band (rock,blues style) but the amp itself is very heavy and am planning to sell this amp and buy a brand new one.

I've come across the Behringer KXD series and they seem to be what I'm after but as there is no Behringer dealer near me I was wondering does anybody own either the 12" or 15" model and are they any good and does anybody have any recommendations on any other amps that have at least a 300w rms?

Reaction score
OK, now we're getting somewhere.

I'll defer to others here about what would be best for FOH - I always run my keys through whatever FOH PA is decided to be fit for purpose by the sound engineer. But I would be cautious about a 12" amp in a crowded 200 person pub competing with (I assume) guitar, bass, drums. Seems like it's "unders" to me.

I think the 12" or 15" Behringer you refer to would do the job as an on-stage monitor from a volume perspective, can't speak about sound quality as I've not heard one. As an on-stage monitor I use a 15" JBL run though a mixer and it's plenty loud enough to cut through an 11 piece band, I've never had the volume over half way on stage.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
With the Behringer I'm planning to find a dealer nearby so I can find out myself if the quality is good plus how heavy it is etc.

I also usually go through a PA most of the time but a couple of bands I've worked with are adamant to use just my amp (which I think is stupid lol) and just rely on it for monitoring also.

You mentioned having a JBL which one is it do you own?

Reaction score
EON 515XT. To be honest it's probably a bit more than I need for on-stage sound but it doubles as a rehearsal amp in one of my bands, where I do need the extra grunt it provides.

Reaction score
I've gone through probably 30 different amp configurations over the past 40 years of professional performances. In the past several years I've usually only needed an on-stage monitor for my own purposes, with the house PA projecting my output through its mains and stage monitors. However there's instances where I've needed a stand-alone stage amp and I've arrived at a configuration that I'd recommend to any keyboardist: Use a powered speaker. There's several on the market: Behringer, Alto, EV, JBL, QSC, Mackie, etc. and depending on your budget, you could spend between $200 and $1200 USD. I pride myself on selecting equipment that blends "budget" with "performance" and have to say that the EV ELX112P powered speaker gets as close to that objective as any I've used: 1000watts, a HD 12" driver and a horn, two channels and an XLR line-out, light weight (37lbs), and just generally provides that thick, punchy sound that so many keyboard sounds require. It makes my piano settings sound crisp, not muddy, and my Hammond B3 thick and rich. I paid $350 delivered for mine, and they can be had for about the same on Ebay on occasion. Previous to that, I had the Alto TS112A powered speaker, but there's a world of difference between it and the EV in terms of quality and output, with with $150 or difference well worth it.

Reaction score
I agree 100% with Rocknroller.... An active monitor is the only way to go. I too like the EV's..... the lower priced ZLX 12P works just fine (and you can find them B srock for around $325).... if youve got the bucks to spend... and want something small... tou cant beat the QSC 8"... (Q8??)... nice, but pricey (and doesnt have enough "angle" to lake a decent wedge.... )

Reaction score
Hi all

I currently own a Carlsbro Colt 100 which was given to me for free from my current band (rock,blues style) but the amp itself is very heavy and am planning to sell this amp and buy a brand new one.

I've come across the Behringer KXD series and they seem to be what I'm after but as there is no Behringer dealer near me I was wondering does anybody own either the 12" or 15" model and are they any good and does anybody have any recommendations on any other amps that have at least a 300w rms?

I've been through many configurations over the years including the powered plastic 15s and they work pretty well. I have gone to the Bose mini stick in the last few years and am very pleased with it. It can actually cover a pretty good sized room but it will also turn down nicely for smaller venues and makes a fabulous stage monitor. Like many, I use a small portable mixer with it.

Reaction score
I've gone through probably 30 different amp configurations over the past 40 years of professional performances. In the past several years I've usually only needed an on-stage monitor for my own purposes, with the house PA projecting my output through its mains and stage monitors. However there's instances where I've needed a stand-alone stage amp and I've arrived at a configuration that I'd recommend to any keyboardist: Use a powered speaker. There's several on the market: Behringer, Alto, EV, JBL, QSC, Mackie, etc. and depending on your budget, you could spend between $200 and $1200 USD. I pride myself on selecting equipment that blends "budget" with "performance" and have to say that the EV ELX112P powered speaker gets as close to that objective as any I've used: 1000watts, a HD 12" driver and a horn, two channels and an XLR line-out, light weight (37lbs), and just generally provides that thick, punchy sound that so many keyboard sounds require. It makes my piano settings sound crisp, not muddy, and my Hammond B3 thick and rich. I paid $350 delivered for mine, and they can be had for about the same on Ebay on occasion. Previous to that, I had the Alto TS112A powered speaker, but there's a world of difference between it and the EV in terms of quality and output, with with $150 or difference well worth it.

I agree Rockinroller has it nailed. I use a couple QSC K12, K10s are also good. And you have a DI output for the FOH guy too boot. Get a couple of stands for them and they project very well and you can keep up with Lead Guit.

Reaction score
Hi all

I really like the Motion Sound KP500SN stereo amp. It's pricey but the best I've ever had, not as strident as the powered monitors. I think the crossover is set for more woofer, less horn than some others. Modern keyboards just sound so good in stereo. It has 2 channels with 4 inputs each, stereo XLR outs and mono 1/4" sends for FOH. And wheels!

Reaction score
I have the "Spacestation V.3 amp
Yamaha DXS-12 Subwoofer
both units are stackable for small footprint in small spaces
i dig the lo-end nice and fat & hi's are sweet sounding

Reaction score
Hi all

Hi all

Behringer 15 inch is ok, the effects section is about useless. And make sure you get the 2 year warranty (like Sweetwater). All I could afford is the Roland KC550 ( $ 550) which is 150 more than the Behrniger but a little better clarity. I use the Behringer as an emergency backup.

Ask a Question