Keyboard brand pros/cons

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a Yamaha PSR-E443 that I bought years ago. It has served me well to learn, but I find that for the size and weight, I would prefer one with better sound. I also don't quite find the interface of that model very friendly nor the looks.

When I purchased my keyboard, I knew about Yamaha, but not really about other brands. I want to make a more informed decision; I will visit stores and try to hear them but I want to do the research beforehand. My budget is flexible around $1200 but of course I would prefer to spend less.

I really want 61keys (will consider 88), and the "true" warm sound of a piano as much as possible, and yes, the keyboard features for ensemble sound comparable to the Yamaha. Although I won't buy right away, maybe 8-12months from now, I want to learn about the pros/cons of the brands.

Can someone point me to any resources, either in this forum or outside, that could help me?

Gratefully,

-- Luis

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your E443 is an arranger type of keyboard with auto accompaniment features ie you trigger the backing by playing chords with your left hand.

Is this auto accompaniment what you mean by Ensemble features?

If I assume it is then you are pretty limited in available models to choose from.

Yamaha PSR SX 700 or PSR SX 600

Korg Pa 700, imo better than the Yamaha’s add Reuben’s piano sample and you would have a acoustic piano sound that is far superior to others out there.

Roland BK 7, is a very old model in a market that Roland do not now seem to support.

Additionally there are models by Medeli and Ketron but there are no models I am aware of that will compete with Yamaha or Korg at the up to $1500 USD market.

Moving up to 88 keys again very limited ensemble market:-

Yamaha DGX 670

Korg XE 20

Casio PX S 3000

There are plenty of Youtube videos on the quoted models. Yamaha tend to have links to their videos on the product’s webpage via their audio & video tab. Korg has their Youtube channel where you will find the Video Manual series of tutorials on the Pa 700.

Reaction score
Your E443 is an arranger type of keyboard with auto accompaniment features ie you trigger the backing by playing chords with your left hand.

Is this auto accompaniment what you mean by Ensemble features?

If I assume it is then you are pretty limited in available models to choose from.

Yamaha PSR SX 700 or PSR SX 600

Korg Pa 700, imo better than the Yamaha’s add Reuben’s piano sample and you would have a acoustic piano sound that is far superior to others out there.

Roland BK 7, is a very old model in a market that Roland do not now seem to support.

Additionally there are models by Medeli and Ketron but there are no models I am aware of that will compete with Yamaha or Korg at the up to $1500 USD market.

Moving up to 88 keys again very limited ensemble market:-

Yamaha DGX 670

Korg XE 20

Casio PX S 3000

There are plenty of Youtube videos on the quoted models. Yamaha tend to have links to their videos on the product’s webpage via their audio & video tab. Korg has their Youtube channel where you will find the Video Manual series of tutorials on the Pa 700.

Thank you! I had the PSR SX700/600 and the Pa700 on my list of possibilities; glad to hear that these are good options.

I'm very curious about the Korg and will try to play with at a store soon; as I mentioned I don't love the Yamaha interface on my mine nor the look/feel.

Reaction score
Luis

When I was looking at a 700 myself I played a Yamaha S675 back to back with it, I bought the 700 on sound, build quality, looks and material used on the body. By comparison the S675 was a cheap and nasty product.

Roll on the release of the SX models and they seem vastly superior to the outgoing models, however after playing a pair of SX keyboards I still prefer the sound and OS of the Korg.

Do watch the Korg video series that I posted prior and do the same with the SX videos and you will be well equipped to play them in store.

Reaction score
Luis

When I was looking at a 700 myself I played a Yamaha S675 back to back with it, I bought the 700 on sound, build quality, looks and material used on the body. By comparison the S675 was a cheap and nasty product.

Roll on the release of the SX models and they seem vastly superior to the outgoing models, however after playing a pair of SX keyboards I still prefer the sound and OS of the Korg.

Do watch the Korg video series that I posted prior and do the same with the SX videos and you will be well equipped to play them in store.
I've been watching the videos, thank you. These could be a great permanent thread if not already one.

Does anyone have thoughts about the Pa600?

Reaction score
I tried a 600 before buying my 700, it is a very good keyboard but it was four years ago when I last played one.

There are very many similarities between the 600 & 700 models but the 700 has the newer OS and a bit more of everything.

The 600 is a lot older model which has not had any major update for quite a long time, not that the 700 has had the major updates it or its big brother the 1000 deserve.

Do also checkout the Korg Bonusware website where there are well over 40 free Style packs available to download for the Pa models, there are also Sound packs and software freely available.

Then there is Osimo which is a free Songbook with Setlists that is available for the 700, 100 & 4X Pa models from the Korg UK website korgworld.co.uk. There are about 150 songs included with the software and the Set file as it is called runs off a USB memory stick and integrates seamlessly within the inbuilt Songbook.

Finally the key to the effective use of a Korg Pa is its Songbook feature, there is where you save your customised Styles which include keyboard sets etc

Ask a Question