Keyboard choices

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a dilemma with my Yamaha MOXF6, I bought it used so didn't get the Steinberg Cubase AI with it or the remote editor, in order to make an MP3 I have to connect to my Mac and have some kind of software and the Steinberg USB driver which I've already downloaded. I've downloaded Reaper which doesn't seem to work. Question is - is there a keyboard workstation in the $1000 to $1200 range that will allow you to edit and record to a USB flash drive that can then be plugged into your computer to make an MP3 - alternative is a keyboard that comes with the software you need like the MOXF, I may be done with it however as it's been very frustrating for me, despite the beautiful sounds and arpeggios. I haven't given up on it yet as I will call the music store and try to dig up the receipt to see if I can somehow get the software bundle that was supposed to come with it. Still, any suggestions would be appreciated! All the stuff I've shared so far has been older with the Roland XP-60, already sold and quite outdated by now, but it sure was easy to use. The MOXF is another complex animal. Any suggestions welcome, thank you and I hope to share some more of my archives until I can figure this thing out.

Fishingmusician1

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
One disadvantage to your thought of looking for a keyboard that will save onto a flash drive to transfer to a computer is that you won't be able to add another keyboard track to your song. While it's nice to keep everything in the digital domain when your recording, decades of great music were recorded using analog audio signals.

If you can't get your keyboard to send music digitally to your computer, invest in a decent audio interface and just plug the audio cables to your computer that way. (And there are probably people on this forum who will tell you that you don't need a decent audio interface. They plug directly to the microphone/audio input on the computer.)

Then, when you want to add a second line, you can just record to a new track in the DAW without trying to get the timing of the MP3 just right.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I'll do some research and some experimenting and figure something out with what I've got. I should have plenty of time now as I've just been laid off unexpectedly. Bad news for me, but I think I'll be ok for a while and be able to put some time in with what I want to do instead of what I have to. I also got some advice from the store where I bought the keyboard, to just record in the primitive old fashioned way - mic up the audio from the keyboard into my recording deck. I still have lots of mixing options there. This is all based on a song or songs where all the tracks are already recorded and done. I've got a lot of learning left to do to get my keyboard and Mac on the right track.

Reaction score
As for the software bundle that originally came with the keyboard - leave a personal message for Phil Clendeninn (aka "Bad Mister") over at motifator.com and explain your situation to him. He may be able to help you out.

Reaction score
As for the software bundle that originally came with the keyboard - leave a personal message for Phil Clendeninn (aka "Bad Mister") over at motifator.com and explain your situation to him. He may be able to help you out.

Thanks, I've already communicated with him at yamahasynth.com in the MOXF section forum, but he could make neither heads or tails of what I was saying, but I'll mention the software bundle.

Reaction score
He's a very busy guy. He doesn't need, and won't want, to know all the ins and outs of what you are trying to do. That is completely beside the point in your discussion with him. Just tell him you bought a used MOXF6. The software bundle was not with it. You need his help in getting a copy. End of story!

I doubt that the dealer is going to be able to help you much. If the original owner did not return items, there is not much they can do about it. Most used gear is sold "as is", and missing items are part of the risk you take.

Last edited:
Reaction score
He's a very busy guy. He doesn't need, and won't want, to know all the ins and outs of what you are trying to do. That is completely beside the point in your discussion with him. Just tell him you bought a used MOXF6. The software bundle was not with it. You need his help in getting a copy. End of story!

I doubt that the dealer is going to be able to help you much. If the original owner did not return items, there is not much they can do about it. Most used gear is sold "as is", and missing items are part of the risk you take.
Good point, I gathered that, will do and thanks!

Reaction score
Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It looks very nice to me Alchemy but it would be useless with my system. Presonus doesn't support Linux in any way, shape or form.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary!
I'm not even sure what it does but it looks like a fun toy I might be able to use or need :D, at that price. It looks like it might at least fill my software wants? On the other hand I need to calm down on the "looks like a good deal thing" cause I've bought a lot of big stuff lately on that premise and forget I actually need a use :D.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I'm one to talk. I found a Canadian vendor last week selling the Studiologic Sledge 2.0 for $200 less than anyone else in Canada and instantly placed the order and sold off two of my ROMplers to cover half the price :p

Then again I was already lousy with ROMplers and this thing has guts designed by Waldorf :D VA control with wavetable waveforms and built in sample memory :eek:

I'll be spending most of next week writing up an INS file for it and integrating it into my studio :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
yes I understand all that :confused::D
maybe someday I will, meanwhile just in between last comment I fried a winch I bought several years ago on this same premise and never tried til now, just experimenting to see if it was powerful enough to pull cars onto my new trailer, took it out of the box brand new and fried it :rolleyes: It wasn't powerful enough. Almost though :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
I might be able to use something like that second one. I was trying to compose a midi and wanted to see how it sounded thru my JV1080 and it took over an hour trying to remember how to switch all the midi wires around and how to set up the synths in anvil etc. then I have to switch it all back again. I have two UX-16 interfaces.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The nice thing about the MIDIsport is that it only uses 1 USB port to hook up to 4 MIDI devices to the computer without any conflicts.

I mainly use it for devices whose USB won't work without Windows drivers on my Linux box but it also provides multiple device hookup without tying up all my USB ports.

And like all my gear, it's USB MIDI Class Compliant so it works quite nicely without any additional drivers. :D

It's also USB powered, solid metal chassis and built like the proverbial brick outhouse. :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question