Keyboard Controller for Piano Beginner

Reaction score
My wife has been teaching me piano for 6 weeks (she's Grade 7). We have an acoustic and a digital. TRouble is we can't play at the same time as the Acoustic drowns out the pianist on the digital with headphones on.

Thinking of getting a 61 key keyboard controller whiich I can whip out and play on my desk and quickly put away when I need to be on the internet or when I'm working (I work from home).

Would one of these be suitable for a beginner?

Any recommendations?

The second hand ones on EBay seem disproportionately expensive compared to new ones.

One further thing. We have a music venue in our village hall every other month, where I sing usually accompanied by my wife on piano or a whole band.

Would a keyboard controller connect to our mixing desk and P.A. sytem to act as a second keyboard or is there some kind of extra interface required?

Reaction score
Hello there, and welcome to the forums!

A 61 key keyboard would indeed be suitable for a beginner. As these keyboards aren't incredibly expencive, you could easily get a brand new one without economical problems :p

I've always thought that there would be no problem in connecting an additional keyboard to a P.A. system, it should be ok, and I guess it would be like a secondary keyboard, but I'm not entirely sure on this.

As for a recommended keyboard; try looking into the Yamaha PSR-series - relatively cheap keyboards with very good sound quality.

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
Wouldn't they be actual keyboards (with their own sound) as opposed to keyboard controllers (that only output midi data)?

Hello there, and welcome to the forums!

A 61 key keyboard would indeed be suitable for a beginner. As these keyboards aren't incredibly expencive, you could easily get a brand new one without economical problems :p

I've always thought that there would be no problem in connecting an additional keyboard to a P.A. system, it should be ok, and I guess it would be like a secondary keyboard, but I'm not entirely sure on this.

As for a recommended keyboard; try looking into the Yamaha PSR-series - relatively cheap keyboards with very good sound quality.

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I did not notice that. Well, a friend of mine got one of those keyboard controllers; more spesifically this one: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOKEYSTAT88

It has got 88 keys instead of 61 though, but he's pretty happy with it. Works great for practicing at home, but isn't the best solution for live performances.

You might wanna take a look here for 61 key controllers: http://www.sweetwater.com/c519--61-Key_Controllers

The ones from Korg are pretty cheap, and they're pretty good from what I've heard.

<<Gratwhol>>

Ask a Question