Keyboard Controller > Sound Module

Reaction score
I would like an opinion or a good guess. I have been hoping a keyboard controller exists which has programmable buttons that can tell a sound module which of its instruments to play, and do so simply via one MIDI cable - no computer or iPad. At a used instrument store, I've run across what appears to fit the bill:

Edirol PCR-800 MIDI Keyboard Controller

Its manual online (p. 6) seems to say that this is possible. What think ye?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Look at pages 8 and 9. It seems to possess enough computer intelligence to edit and save multiple control maps to its own internal memory and it is designed to work with either USB or MIDI fairly agnostically.

I'd have to say it's very likely it will perform exactly as you hope.

The DAW features will be useless without a computer though.

Plus if you do get it, you may find it easier to program using their software rather than the panel controls but that shouldn't be a dealbreaker either.

For an authoritative yea or nay I'd suggest emailing Roland Pre Sales Support and then holding your breath for 6 weeks til they get back to you.

If you're in a hurry you might also log in over at

http://forums.rolandclan.com/

And you might be lucky enough to find an actual owner of one of these.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Its manual online (p. 6) seems to say that this is possible. What think ye?
Yes. While Page 6 tells you you can use those A1-A9 and B1-B9 buttons to send MIDI commands, it is page 21 that confirms that the list of possible MIDI commands for those buttons include Program Changes. From just a quick glance, though, it looks like the actual programming has to be done on a computer, but once programmed, it will do what you want eithout the computer attached.

THere are lots of keyboards that can do what you want, though in many cases, they are also keyboards with sounds of their own.

Ask a Question