Keyboard for 16 year old beginner

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 16 year old son who wish a keyboard for christmas. He is an absolute beginner on keyboard and have no special preferences.
He have played some guitar and a little bit of piano but is no musician. I have looked around on the net and am thinking of buying a midi keyboard. I think that looks more fun and can do more variety than a regular keyboard. Is this right?
I am thinking of the Novation Launchkey 49 or 61 Mk2.
Is this a good idea?
Do he need 61 keys or is 49 ok?
Other suggestions?
Regular keyboard instead and then why?

Please help, I knew absolutely nothing about keyboards before I searched the net the last few days. I don't feel I know very much now either

With regards
Christian, Norway

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Chrisso
Many options available.
Many suggestions from our membets may be forthcoming but first . .
1. Does son want to play piano style or keyboard style with accompiament.
2. What is your budget?

Reaction score
Hi Chrisso
Many options available.
Many suggestions from our membets may be forthcoming but first . .
1. Does son want to play piano style or keyboard style with accompiament.
2. What is your budget?

He got an idea he wanted to try keyboard. He mentioned it while talking about what he wanted for christmas. I think maybe mostly keyboard style with accompiament but with possibilities to play som piano like music. He needs a new hobby, he played football six times a week until this summer and he wants to try music and keyboard.

Budget is not high end now, maybe next keyboard if he really starts playing a lot. I think up to 250 Euros/ 300 $.

Reaction score
Welcome

There is a lot of inclusive keyboard choice in the budget or just above

There are four manufacturers to consider and these are my suggestions:-

Roland G Keys c280 Euro

Casio CT X700 c225 Euro

Yamaha PSR EW300 c250 Euro or PSR E463 c280 Euro

And a bit above budget but arguably the best under 350 Euro keyboard is

Korg EK50 c310Euro

Now MIDI

Novation Launchkey 61 c250Euro

This is one I tried but discounted it in favour of an Arturia Essential which I have sold since it and the Novation are simply not good enough for regular playing, for keying in short sequences into recording software they are OK but as I said they have limitations for extensive playing with the main limitation being keybed sensitivity.

A quality MIDI keyboard suitable for extensive playing is not going to be cheap and typically over 400 Euro will need to be spent.

The keyboards with inclusive sounds, accompaniment styles etc that I quoted previously are self contained and yet to varyingbdegrees they can be connected to recording software.

I suggest you look at Youtube reviews of the above keyboards.

Other members will no doubt offer their own suggestions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 16 year old son who wish a keyboard for christmas. He is an absolute beginner on keyboard and have no special preferences.
He have played some guitar and a little bit of piano but is no musician. I have looked around on the net and am thinking of buying a midi keyboard. I think that looks more fun and can do more variety than a regular keyboard. Is this right?
I am thinking of the Novation Launchkey 49 or 61 Mk2.
Is this a good idea?
Do he need 61 keys or is 49 ok?
Other suggestions?
Regular keyboard instead and then why?

Please help, I knew absolutely nothing about keyboards before I searched the net the last few days. I don't feel I know very much now either

With regards
Christian, Norway
Hi Christian,

I suggest that you get your son a cheap keyboard so that if he shows a serious interest he can then progress onto a better keyboard. A 76 key unit would be a good choice and I have a personal choice of Yamaha's EW series which are rather cheap. I've been using an EW400 and find it sufficient for most purposes - especially entertainment of self and parties!! Give ir a try.
Cheers and good luck

Reaction score
I knew a bloke once who said he only played 'for his own pleasure'. That seemed to be the general consensus, as well. ;)

Ask a Question