Keyboard for a teenage pianist

Reaction score
Son is 13 and a grade 5 Pianist. Going to be doing GCSE music.

He isn't going to be a soloist so we thought if he could also play a keyboard it would enable him in future to join a band, group or ..... He could also use it in composition and as he loves computers he could learn a bit about that side of music.

We have a piano, and we don't want to detract from his piano playing - just provide something which might enrich and vary his keyboard playing.

So is this a reasonable idea and what to get?

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Not too much money and loads of fun for someone with your son's skillset.

Get him a Casio XW-P1 or XW-G1. Either one sells for about $500 and will expose him to hundreds of PCM and Synth sounds as well as MIDI step sequencers and phrase sequencers and arpeggiators as well as computerized sequencing when attached via USB to a computer DAW.

It has the basic bread and butter sounds that a working musician needs as well as the ability to edit and load hundreds of available sounds and variations.

While the P1 features a fully working drawbar organ and hex layer synthesis the G1 lacks these features but allows sampling.

Personally if I were in his position I'd opt for the P1 instead of the G1.

The instrument shouldn't distract him too much from his piano studies while at the same time offering him the chance to grow and evolve in new musical directions at the same time.

That's my $0.02 worth :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question