Keyboard for beginners?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am Anand from Chennai. I am yet to start my keyboard classes in a week. Many of my friends suggested to get a high end keyboard (76 keys, 5 octaves and above). Even though, they mentioned both pros and cons while going for high end. Main advantage is I can get more weighted keys and so after learning the basics our heart seeks a high end keyboard, so be it. And on the other side if i use it as a beginner, I will be training on that and overall will be making it a rough use and so will spoil the smoothness of keys. So kindly suggest me the best to buy.

And the second thing is, I need to know what difference does a PSR and YPG keyboard make?
Is YPG associated to foreign model and English music and can't it be used for Indian carnatic, classical or western music?

I have decided to buy one of these...
Yamaha PSR I455., If YPG is a foreign model that cannot be used or played for Indian music.
Or.. if it isnt, I will buy
YPG 435...
Please send me some suggestions keyboard lovers...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all neither a PSR nor a YPG is what I'd consider to be "High end."

PSR is a standard Yamaha "Portable Music Keyboard" while YPG are their lowest end "Digital Pianos" with proper weighted keyboards.

It depends if you are aiming to play mainly traditional Indian music or are planning to learn Western style piano playing.

If you are looking to learn proper piano I'd suggest the DGX 640. Yamaha does sell them in India but I don't think they offer any Indian voicings.

http://in.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...gx_series/dgx-640_color_variation/?mode=model

Otherwise if you plan to use it more for traditional Indian music then stick with one of the PSR i models.

Gary

Ask a Question