keyboard for christmas

Reaction score
Hey ya'll,
I'm a noobie and really know nothing about keyboards. I really have always wanted to play an instrument, and after giving up on guitar I feel like I think piano will be a better suit for me. After going to the musicians friend store, and receiving no logical help from anyone there I decided to come here. I'm looking to get a keyboard for christmas butI have no idea which one is a good start. I'm really into electronica, techno, and jambands and I would love to be able to play those electronic synthesizer sounds that the band particle produces. I'd also like one that I could hook up to my computer so I could record. Do yall have any suggestions for me?
-Jack

Reaction score
Hmm there are a lot of things to consider. What is your price range? Are you looking to actually start playing, or just something to mess around with? Do you want to play piano, or just synth stuff?

How long did you play guitar for?

There are a lot of keyboards out there, and in a lot of different price ranges, so its hard to suggest something unless I know how into it you really are.

Reaction score
hi butlerjw,

i'm just going to repeat the same thing skot said. There really is a LOT of keyboards
from a different price range... used or new. But until we don't know exactly what are you
looking for and how serious you mean to get with keyboards - we can't help you that much.

it would be easy to say: Get the motif, M3, Oasys if money is not the problem, but
there is no need to go and buy something you really don't need.

So these questions still stand:

1. do you intend to play ONLY sinth sounds or do you want a good piano sound and
keys
2. how serious are you... we know you just started but if you want something more
it would be better to buy at least a mid-range keyboard so you don't have to later.

Reaction score
I think my parents are willing to spend within the 200-400 dollar range for a keyboard. I wouldn't mind having a used one either. I'm not super serious, but I want to get one decent enough that it will last me awhile before I buy something bigger and better. I'm really not that interested in something that sounds too perfectly like a piano. I really just want something to learn how to play on and possibly make some cool sounds with that I could mess around with on my computer. Also, as a college student I really don't have any money. Is it worth getting one of those keyboards with the lights that tell you which keys to press? Thanks for your help guys.

Reaction score
I played guitar for about a year before i gave up on it. And I'm looking to actually start playing as well. Since I don't play sports as much as I used to, I think piano would be a great way to fill up my time. Especially since I have a month off of school for christmas with absolutely nothing to do.

Reaction score
hmm... that price range could be a bit of a problem cause most of the keyboards you can use to create sounds (workstations) are a bit more expensive...

So you can't get anything new. maybe if you try to find something like the KORG Trinity

trinlg.jpg

(http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=270192723155)

You see its price but believe me, it's worth it, and if you decide NOT to play keyboards
in the end, you'll have no problem selling it.

For 400$ you can also get something like the yamaha psr-e403 (new) but that's
an arranger (has styles to play along) and you can't edit and create your own sounds

psre403.jpg

Reaction score
The toshiba looks like it would work for me since it has the synthesizer sounds on it, and I can get it for about 200. Would it also be an okay keyboard for me to learn on? And regarding learning the basics, I've done some research online and have come across a bunch of learning methods. One dvd set by this guy named Duane is 1000 for a year. Is this a gimmick or are his lessons just truly incredible?
Here's the link to his site:http://www.chordpiano.com/

Reaction score
Don't give up playing! You should really stick to playing one instrument and keep going at it.

But if you like keyboards a lot, something like that yamaha arranger would probably be a good thing to start out with. You can always buy something bigger and better, but if you are just starting out, it sounds like going for something inexpensive might be a good idea.

Reaction score
Don't give up playing! You should really stick to playing one instrument and keep going at it.

But if you like keyboards a lot, something like that yamaha arranger would probably be a good thing to start out with. You can always buy something bigger and better, but if you are just starting out, it sounds like going for something inexpensive might be a good idea.

Exactly, that's why I put the PSR e403 up there. I't cheap and has
OK sounds but you can't modify and create sounds on an arranger

Ask a Question