keyboard for electronic music beginner?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been playing the acoustic piano for years, and have been arranging and composing for a shorter time. But I stick to my acoustic piano for that. I feel a need to get started in using a keyboard to integrate more instruments into the pieces. I hear about 'sampling', 'sequencing', 'arpeggiators' and such. I want to get into those as well.

Do you know a suitable keyboard/workstation for a beginner like me?

Thank you for your advice,

ekaymusic

Reaction score
I realize I didn't give enough details:

I plan to hook up the keyboard with my computer to record. I mostly play pop. The keyboard should be able to play at least the following sounds: piano, guitar, bass, drums, strings and organ.

I'd prefer 88-weighted keys.

I have a budget of $3000.

Any advice for a beginner electronic music player/composer/arranger is appreciated.

Thank you, ekaymusic

Reaction score
Nice budget!

I'm starting to sound like a broken record around here, but I'd suggest the Korg M3 or Yamaha Motif. I don't like Roland's string and brass sounds, although that's maybe just my preference. I'm leaning towards an M3 myself, but it's a bit more affordable than the Motif. Any of the three should do what you want in terms of sampling, arpeggiators, and such. I don't know whether the Motif and Roland Fantom G or Fantom X series have models with weighted keys, but their 88-key models are probably weighted. It really comes down to sound preference, which is something you should decide yourself with some in-store time. playing each.

Reaction score
Hi Kanthos,

Thanks for your suggestions! I will visit a store sometime to try those out and hear the sounds. lol It's a budget I've been saving for sometime.

Best,

ekaymusic

Ask a Question