Keyboard for Prog band Recomendation.

Reaction score
Hello, Im soon looking to buy a second keyboard ( I got a Juno-G) and im looking for suggestion on a good keyboard for a prog band.

Im looking for something with Good spacey strings, Good sounding piano, Decent Hammond. For my juno-g lack these. Maybe stings that sounds realy melotron-ish would be great.

Im playing in 2 bands right now. one is more space , Melodic psychedelic oriented ( Think planetX + Dream theater) And the other more Heavy, Rythm strong based ( think opeth).

Im not to good a making my own patch in fact I Understand Squat shit about it. And im realy clueless on what to buy. :confused:

Can anybody Help me ? :)

Reaction score
Read up on subtractive synthesis and learn to make your own patches, for one thing. You can spend a ton on keyboards if you never get past the built-in presets.

*Don't* even consider another Roland keyboard unless you want to replace the Juno-G; diversifying between manufacturers will give you a lot more variety. A good fit for you would probably be the Nord Electro 3 or the Nord Stage. They both have a built-in organ engine (so instead of having a few pre-recorded presets, you've got the drawbars on a B3 to play with), a great piano section with rhodes, wurlitzer, clavinet, and electric and acoustic grands, and a good effects section.

The differences? The Electro 3 can load various other samples, including Mellotron samples; it was really designed to be a classic keyboard. The drawback is that I think you can only play one instrument at once (two-manual organ, using your other keyboard, OR one piano sound OR one sample). I say "I think" because the Electro 2 had this behaviour, and I'm not sure how the Electro 3 is different in that regard.

The Stage, on the other hand, has a built-in synthesizer instead of the sample capability of the Electro. It isn't a very good synthesizer though (it's very limited compared to *any* other modern synth), but it's a nice bonus and you can still make some good sounds on it. The Stage also lets you play up to 6 parts at once: 2 piano/keyboard sounds, two organ sounds, and two synth sounds.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply, Ive look into the Nord electro And Love how it sounds, Ive also started reading on substractive synthesis (anyone has site recomandation?).

Ask a Question