Keyboard help for gigging musician

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to this forum and I am hoping some of you may be of assistance.

I am a pianist of many years now transferring over to the world of digital/electric pianos for performance purposes, as a gigging musician. I'm still new to all of the bells and whistles that can be found on today's electric pianos, and mainly just wanted the most realistic feeling/sounding piano. After doing some initial research, I settled on the Yamaha YPG-625 both due to realistic sound and feel, and the price tag. I didn't feel I needed the Cadillac of digital pianos (which in my current opinion would be the Nord Stage). Now I fear my choice may have been wrong, for the following reasons:

1. The Yamaha is relatively lightweight at only 40-something pounds (mainly due to the weighted keys). I purchased a case for my baby to protect it in transit from gig to gig. But when you add the additional 40-something pounds that the case adds (with hard bracing and wheels), I'm now lugging a nearly 90 lb. 88-keyboard up and down a flight and a half of stairs. For myself, being a 5'2" female, this is no longer optimal.

2. I have found that even with all of the realistic, lush sounds that the Yamaha boasts, there are no customizable presets to allow for easy switching between say a Harpsichord sound to a Rhodes sound, mid-song.

3. I practice on a $350 Williams electric keyboard at my practice space. While I wouldn't buy one, due to quality (the keys stick and it's still relatively new), I love the other features such as a modulation wheel and pitch bend wheel. My Yamaha doesn't have this modulation wheel and I didn't realize how much I would miss it.

Therefore, I am seeking the following wishlist items in a keyboard:

a. Lightweight. Preferably 35 lbs or less.
b. Realistic great piano and organ sounds. (Keep in mind, this is for stage performance)
c. Customizable preset buttons which allow, not only for tone preset, but style (such as amount of reverb, etc.)
d. 76 keys (I have found I do not need all 88)
e. Weighted or semi-weighted keys. I'm still a piano player at heart, so that realistic feel is still desired.
f. Modulation wheel.**** (I will sacrifice this item if all other items are available)
g. Price tag of under $1,000

Does this product exist?
A friend of mine who is also a gigging musician, swears by the Casio Privia line. I'm just skeptical about them.

Your feedback is MOST welcome!
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hhhmm...

Generally weighted keys cause keyboards to weigh alot more. Don't know if semi-weighted would generally be lighter.

But, just a crazy idea, you could maybe get yourself a weighted key controller and a seperate sound bank for the sounds you want. Should solve some of the weight issues since it don't have to carry both at the same time, but don't know about the price. That would need some geekery though.

But, seems like you are going to have a hard time finding what you want. Don't know much about digital pianos though.

Reaction score
Yamaha MM6

Give this keyboard a listen. I was looking for the same criteria as you. It is lightweight, (11lbs.) has very good piano and organ sounds.

It does not have fully weighted keys, and it is 61 keys. You can buy it new for $500.

Reaction score
Stay away from casio for the most part. I use a yamaha cp-33 and it is awesome. But its a few hundred more that you are looking at. The roland rd300sx is light as hell, but the key feeling is not as good, and it doesnt sound as good as yamaha in my opinion. Its also more expensive.

Reaction score
voxkey, I just went through this whole weight issue, and trying to keep a piano feel to the keybed. Plus, like you I didn't have several grand$ to lay out for a new keyboard. I lugged a Ensoniq ZR76 around for years, 90 lb key plus the roller case, well over a hundred pounds. I started looking for a lighter keyboard.
The Yamaha MM6 is a nice little keyboard and has some very nice samples, but for a piano player you wouldn't be happy with it, I bought a MM6 had it for a week and sent it back, due to the 61 keys and light touch.
M-Audio makes some good controllers around $300 weighted, and you could get a Kurtsweil sound module for under $600 simply plug midi out to in and play.
I ended up buying an Alesis QS8.2, still weighs 48 lbs but I am happy with the samples and keybed.
Good luck, this is a hard one to solve.

Reaction score
voxkey -
You should check out the brand new Roland RD300GX if you can find one at a store near you (they're still shipping, later in April in many stores) -
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ROL-RD300GX

It exceeds your budget a bit but if you gig steadily, hey - it'll earn its own price tag pretty quickly!

I'm dying to try it myself, 'cause it fits the same criteria: good piano sounds, 88 keys (if you're from a traditional piano background, 61 keys won't cut it and 76 keys gets a little old after a while), and yet fairly lightweight (36 lbs.). ;)

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to this forum and I am hoping some of you may be of assistance.

I am a pianist of many years now transferring over to the world of digital/electric pianos for performance purposes, as a gigging musician. I'm still new to all of the bells and whistles that can be found on today's electric pianos, and mainly just wanted the most realistic feeling/sounding piano. After doing some initial research, I settled on the Yamaha YPG-625 both due to realistic sound and feel, and the price tag. I didn't feel I needed the Cadillac of digital pianos (which in my current opinion would be the Nord Stage). Now I fear my choice may have been wrong, for the following reasons:

1. The Yamaha is relatively lightweight at only 40-something pounds (mainly due to the weighted keys). I purchased a case for my baby to protect it in transit from gig to gig. But when you add the additional 40-something pounds that the case adds (with hard bracing and wheels), I'm now lugging a nearly 90 lb. 88-keyboard up and down a flight and a half of stairs. For myself, being a 5'2" female, this is no longer optimal.

2. I have found that even with all of the realistic, lush sounds that the Yamaha boasts, there are no customizable presets to allow for easy switching between say a Harpsichord sound to a Rhodes sound, mid-song.

3. I practice on a $350 Williams electric keyboard at my practice space. While I wouldn't buy one, due to quality (the keys stick and it's still relatively new), I love the other features such as a modulation wheel and pitch bend wheel. My Yamaha doesn't have this modulation wheel and I didn't realize how much I would miss it.

Therefore, I am seeking the following wishlist items in a keyboard:

a. Lightweight. Preferably 35 lbs or less.
b. Realistic great piano and organ sounds. (Keep in mind, this is for stage performance)
c. Customizable preset buttons which allow, not only for tone preset, but style (such as amount of reverb, etc.)
d. 76 keys (I have found I do not need all 88)
e. Weighted or semi-weighted keys. I'm still a piano player at heart, so that realistic feel is still desired.
f. Modulation wheel.**** (I will sacrifice this item if all other items are available)
g. Price tag of under $1,000

Does this product exist?
A friend of mine who is also a gigging musician, swears by the Casio Privia line. I'm just skeptical about them.

Your feedback is MOST welcome!
Thanks!

Yes it exists with a few exceptions. It's called the MO 6 from Yamaha.
Nice and light,only 23 pounds. GREAT piano and organ sounds!
It has a "favorites" category that lets you store all of your favorite patches without having to search.
I don't know how fast "favorites" is but you also have a bank of 128 user presets that you can customize the factory presets in. You also get 32 mixer templates that you can set up anyway you want.Only possible problem is, I don't know if this can be used for live-It's only mentioned in a recording sense. Anybody here know?

61 keys-synth feel but they're nice and firm not "trashy" or loose.
I used to play piano myself but I never got caught up in the need to have weighted keys on synths. I take the instrument for what it is not what I wish it could be.

A mod wheel is on the MO 6. Needless to say,so is pitch bend.

And the price is $1,000 today!

The only reasons I didn't recommend the MO 8 (88 keys) is the price ($1599) and the weight (46 pounds).

Here is some more info for you:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...,,CNTID%253D62580%2526CTID%253D206400,00.html

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...6ATRID%253D20%2526DETYP%253DATTRIBUTE,00.html

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/yamaham06.htm

motifator.com is another handy place to visit also.

As always,good luck!

Reaction score
Yes it exists with a few exceptions. It's called the MO 6 from Yamaha.
Nice and light,only 23 pounds. GREAT piano and organ sounds!
It has a "favorites" category that lets you store all of your favorite patches without having to search.
I don't know how fast "favorites" is but you also have a bank of 128 user presets that you can customize the factory presets in. You also get 32 mixer templates that you can set up anyway you want.Only possible problem is, I don't know if this can be used for live-It's only mentioned in a recording sense. Anybody here know?

61 keys-synth feel but they're nice and firm not "trashy" or loose.
I used to play piano myself but I never got caught up in the need to have weighted keys on synths. I take the instrument for what it is not what I wish it could be.

A mod wheel is on the MO 6. Needless to say,so is pitch bend.

And the price is $1,000 today!

The only reasons I didn't recommend the MO 8 (88 keys) is the price ($1599) and the weight (46 pounds).

Here is some more info for you:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...,,CNTID%253D62580%2526CTID%253D206400,00.html

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...6ATRID%253D20%2526DETYP%253DATTRIBUTE,00.html

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/yamaham06.htm

motifator.com is another handy place to visit also.

As always,good luck!

voxkey -
61 keys will not do for someone coming from a piano background (like you) - the MO' 8 would be a more appropriate solution, even though it's heavier but it's still under 50lbs, which is very reasonable for an 88key machine w/good sounds...

And for that matter, look at the Yamaha S90ES: it's a true professional 'board, if you are going out to play gigs then you owe it to yourself to have a quality instrument, although it is definitely heavier than your 35lb. criteria - coming in over 50lbs.

If you must stay within the 35lb. range - definitely check out the Roland RD300GX, I think it's the "best of breed" in that weight class. Much more professional than the Yamaha YPG-625, w/better sounds and a great-feeling keyboard action. :cool: I am looking to upgrade my own rig w/a nice 88key dig. piano & it will be one of the following:

Yamaha S90ES
Roland RD700GX
Roland RD300GX (the only one in your specified "weight class")
Kurzweil PC3X

BTW - 40 lb. Case?! :mad:
You do NOT need a 40 lb. case (even for a more professional unit like the Roland RD300GX) & whoever sold you that to carry the Yammie YPG-625 is a slick salesman 'cause that is WAAAAY overkill for that keyboard... :eek: There are good solid cases that only weigh in the 20-25lbs. range. 40lbs. is obscenely heavy - you only need a case that strong if you're flying around the world doing gigs & I'm thinking that's probably not the case if your main axe is a Yamaha YPG-625. :D

The YPG-625 is aglorified home-consumer piano, albeit a top-of-the line consumer piano. I mean, for the money I guess it is a good value for a budget-line instrument - 88 keys, sampled piano sounds and other instruments... but it is still a consumer-level brand.

BTW #2 - Switching Sounds Mid-song
Any of these keyboards will let you switch between sounds in the middle of a song - you just need to know which sounds you're switching from and to... if you set them up in a "favorites" patch bank or whatever (as prev. suggested) it might be easier but still a bit tricky...

BTW 3 - Casio Privia PX-320
My dad is a retired GigMan (keyboard player) - he recently bought a Casio Privia PX 320 to use for some gigs he's now doing occasionally and loves it the PX-320 - it's under 35lbs., has nice piano sounds and some others, built-in spkrs. (which you may or may not need) and is only $699.99 -
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-CAS-PX320-LIST

...it does not have a modulation wheel :( but you say you can live w/out that if you had to. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question