Keyboard hooked to a Laptop via midi port...results in problems with notes playing on top of notes...

Reaction score
I connect my keyboard to my laptop so the learning app I am using (Playground Sessions) can indicate when I'm playing keys right, or wrong.

To make the subject line a bit more understandable:

• Connect keyboard to laptop
  • Select a sound effect, any one, lets say Thunder
  • Play the keys
  • Results: Thunder along with the note that the key would be if the keyboard voice was piano
Anyone know if there is a way around this?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It sounds like your Note events are going to the app and are being sent back to the keyboard, which plays them using the Channel 1 Song voice, which defaults to the XG Acoustic Grand Piano (bank 0, program 0).

You can turn off the keyboard's Local Control if you don't want the sound effect to play, or you can try to turn off the app's MIDI output to the keyboard (if it has a setting to do that) if you don't want to get the piano voice on top of the sound effect.

Reaction score
I connect my keyboard to my laptop so the learning app I am using (Playground Sessions) can indicate when I'm playing keys right, or wrong.

To make the subject line a bit more understandable:

• Connect keyboard to laptop
  • Select a sound effect, any one, lets say Thunder
  • Play the keys
  • Results: Thunder along with the note that the key would be if the keyboard voice was piano
Anyone know if there is a way around this?

Reaction score
What make and model keyboard are you using? I had a similar issue with my Roland Juno DS-61 where it was playing combinations of sounds even though I only had one selected.

Reaction score
What make and model keyboard are you using? I had a similar issue with my Roland Juno DS-61 where it was playing combinations of sounds even though I only had one selected.

It's in my signature...it's a Yamaha DGX 660.

I thought I updated this post with the solution, but I guess not.

The problem is that if I have the keyboard hooked to my laptop via midi, for some reason it interprets and sends the extra note to play. I have to disconnect it from the laptop, and it works OK.

Ask a Question