keyboard lag and repeat rate

Reaction score
Hi, I am using a Windows keyboard to use in music production. Problem is, I need the repeat rate to be as high as possible. Also, I need Repeat delay to be set to zero.

Go into control panel, click keyboard. You'll see what I mean. Problem is, it doesn't let you set it to zero, only close to zero. I need it to be set a litterally zero. Is there a way to do this?

Reaction score
You're asking something impossible. If there was no repeat delay at all, you'd be able to create an infinite number of keystrokes in as short a time as you liked.

What are you doing that needs such precise timing? I can't even imagine why music production would (assuming you're using a computer keyboard to play a virtual instrument). Between quantizing tools in your DAW and the fact that the human ear can't distinguish delays of under 10-20 ms, you probably don't need the level of precision you think you do.

Also, are you sure you're not confusing the natural latency of your virtual instruments, DAW, and sound card with the unnoticeable delay that comes from your keyboard?

Computer keyboards weren't meant to be used as music keyboards. You'll probably be better served by getting a cheap MIDI controller.

Reaction score
You're asking something impossible. If there was no repeat delay at all, you'd be able to create an infinite number of keystrokes in as short a time as you liked.

What are you doing that needs such precise timing? I can't even imagine why music production would (assuming you're using a computer keyboard to play a virtual instrument). Between quantizing tools in your DAW and the fact that the human ear can't distinguish delays of under 10-20 ms, you probably don't need the level of precision you think you do.

Also, are you sure you're not confusing the natural latency of your virtual instruments, DAW, and sound card with the unnoticeable delay that comes from your keyboard?

Computer keyboards weren't meant to be used as music keyboards. You'll probably be better served by getting a cheap MIDI controller.

the music software im using updates each frame using the amount of detected keystrokes, leading to lag and melodies which do not correspond to the actual input.

Ask a Question