Keyboard mod on a budget.

Reaction score
Hi all.

Modded keyboard project on a budget.

May interest some or none.

How would you like to add play back of MP3, radio broadcasts, bluetooth streaming and USB port to a old keyboard.

Stream Bluetooth audio to the speakers ex Acapella, percussion, bass, piano, lead or rhythm tracks as solo only or complete backing tracks.

I am not a electronic expert in any way and this current explanation of my mod comes with no experience or recommendation from me, it’s your decision entirely if you want to do this mod on your keyboard.

I purchased a budget keyboard for this project and I do not recommend using a expensive or vintage instrument as it will greatly reduce in value.

I purchased a portable Bluetooth speaker,
Specs:
3.7 v rechargeable battery
2 x 3” 4 ohm 3 watt speakers
MP3 playback, radio, USB, micro SD card and 5 volt in. The 5 volt in also charges the battery.

I disassembled the unit to use the parts for my project except the speakers as they were to big. I had some old 2” speakers lying around as I now believe some parts are worth keeping provided you have ample storage.

I own some basic tools like a Dremel, drill, drill bits, screwdriver, screws, soldering iron, solder, wires, hobby inspection camera and some small metal files.

After opening up my keyboard, I could see where I could cut the holes for the speakers and circuit board to fit precisely.
I marked the dimensions for the speakers and circuit board for cutout.
I used electrical tape and placed around the outer markouts to protected the casing and cut a hole before the markings in the bottom back of keyboard for the speakers and a hole on the top back of the keyboard for the circuit board with the Dremel. Reason cut before the hole so you can have a great finish without damage to the casing of keyboard.
I filed the speaker holes with a small fine half round file and the top circuit board cutout with the flat side of the file to protect the plastic casing from cracking etc.
I cut 2 speaker wires to a length long enough to have some slack and soldered to the speakers. You will need to purchase part no
PH-2P-F x 2 and solder this to other end of speaker wires.
I marked the holes for the speaker and drilled them and screwed them in to the casing.
After drilling holes for the circuit board I attached the battery with industrial double sided tape to inside the cutout and screwed the circuit board in.

Charge the battery with the supplied USB cable.
Functions
Micro SD card. You will need MP3 files.
USB. as above.
FM radio. Listen to radio stations.
Bluetooth. Connect to phone etc.

Sound is quite loud from the speaker and battery will last several hours and can be charged by power banks or AC.
The radio functions quite well indoors locking on to most stations.

A fun project that will cost only some small change if you have the tools described.

Thankyou for your reading my post and I will do more mods to this keyboard and post in the future.

Let me know what you think as all positive and negative replies will be accepted.

Take care
Jake

Attachments

• 284CA293-8899-48AC-8591-A5C96B96DB72.jpeg
    284CA293-8899-48AC-8591-A5C96B96DB72.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 59BD7CC9-7799-48A5-9B27-47EF45490A6C.jpeg
    59BD7CC9-7799-48A5-9B27-47EF45490A6C.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 12DCF315-C5DE-47AA-9BE8-0DC03F8E0FA2.jpeg
    12DCF315-C5DE-47AA-9BE8-0DC03F8E0FA2.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 36

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can do all the same things pretty much with any smartphone :D

And personally I don't need my synths to cook my eggs and toast in the mornings for me :)

I'd rather keep them playing in tune :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I just plug my smartphone or iPad into my keyboard and play audio from that device via the keyboard’s existing onboard amp and speakers.

In other setups I fed the smartphone into my mixer to which was attached my monitor speakers, also attached to the mixer was my guitar, uke, bass, mike and two keyboards.

No way am I taking a Dremel to any of my kit.

Not that it matters, what matters is what works for you.

Reaction score
Looks like a fun project. If your keyboard and associated add-ons are battery powered it could be good value around a campfire.

I agree with you that you’ve probably reduced the resale value if your instrument to zero, but clearly you’re not buying it as an investment.

Reaction score
You can do all the same things pretty much with any smartphone :D

And personally I don't need my synths to cook my eggs and toast in the mornings for me :)

I'd rather keep them playing in tune :)

Gary ;)
Hi.
My keyboard is a old model over 13 years old only has USB type B port.
It works with WIN 10 perfectly and Android via software but not via smartphone bluetooth, hence modifications.

Regards,
Jake
I just plug my smartphone or iPad into my keyboard and play audio from that device via the keyboard’s existing onboard amp and speakers.

In other setups I fed the smartphone into my mixer to which was attached my monitor speakers, also attached to the mixer was my guitar, uke, bass, mike and two keyboards.

No way am I taking a Dremel to any of my kit.

Not that it matters, what matters is what works for you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It was your decision but I'd rather sell off my aging keyboards than turn them into frankenboards. :)

A useless antique to me might be the inspiration for a future Mozart. :)

To each his own :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question