Keyboard or Digital Piano?

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a newbie and I know this is a very basic (and probably stupid) question but...I am looking to buy a keyboard for my church and I havent got a clue where to start. The band that the keyboard will be used in is a modern band with drums/guitars/etc.

Now, obviously, this keyboard isn't for me (I am the guitarist in the band), but I have the job of buying the keyboard. I have been looking around and I have seen Keyboards, Stage Pianos, Digital Pianos, Synthesizers, etc and am really confused. Can anyone give me advise as to what my best option would be?

Ta

Reaction score
What kind of sound(s) are important to you and your church? Strictly a piano? Good Hammond Organ sounds? Pipe organ? Other electric pianos (wurlitzer, rhodes?) Strings and pads? Synth leads? You have to talk more about what you need before anyone can give you any reasonable suggestions.

Reaction score
What kind of sound(s) are important to you and your church? Strictly a piano? Good Hammond Organ sounds? Pipe organ? Other electric pianos (wurlitzer, rhodes?) Strings and pads? Synth leads? You have to talk more about what you need before anyone can give you any reasonable suggestions.
a GOOD piano sound, and strings mainly.

Reaction score
If GOOD piano sounds and strings are your priority, personally I feel Roland would be good for this. People also like Yamaha for piano, myself I don't but you have to decide. I think Roland smokes Yamaha for strings. Yamaha smokes Roland for wurlitzer, clavinet, and rhodes (if you get a motif or motif rack, or S90es). Roland model that would be good for piano and strings would be the FP4, FP7, RD-300gx, or RD-700gx. Can't speak about good yamaha keyboards for good piano sounds, as my main deciding factor for purchasing keyboards were good rhodes, wurly, clav, and organ, thus the Motif rack is my main ax.

Reaction score
Maybe Yamaha's P85? Or even a used yamaha P120? Don't know what Roland has to offer in that price range BUT i do agree that you'll be well off with a stage piano. Roland or Yamaha

Reaction score
yeah... I would look for something used.... you will get a far higher quality for the same price.... you could look at the Clavinovas if you don't plan on moving it alot. For a pianist it is decent, has good action... you will need the full 88 keys. Another benefit of a Clavinova is that there is less risk of it being stolen....

Do you really need/want a keyboard? Because for that price you could find a really decent piano used. An apartment sized upright...

Stage pianos... unless you plug them into a sound system don't do a great job of filling a church with their little speakers...

Who is playing the keyboard is it a pianist or is it someone who is used to playing keyboards??? It can be really frustrating to play a keyboard when you are a pianist...

Ask a Question