Keyboard outputs both its own voice and the VST's voice

Reaction score
Details

Model: Yamaha PSR-EW400
DAW: Soundbridge
Connection: USB to host

Problem

When I play the keyboard, the VST sound gets played but it also outputs the keyboard's current voice. So if the VST is set to a music box and the keyboard is set to portable grand piano, you can hear both the grand piano and the music box with a short delay after each other when pressing a key.

There is no problem so far when playing back however. When the recorded MIDI is replayed, only the VST sound is used. I could set the out to use the keyboard and turn off the VST so that the keyboard's current voice is used.

What I Tried

I tried various combinations for the values of the melody suppressor and audio loop back functions according to this manual to no effect.

How do I set it so that only one voice at a time would play when pressing the keys?
Any help would be great.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're using the keyboard as a controller to play VSTs, you can go into the keyboard's Function menu and change the "Local" setting to "off." This will keep the keyboard from using its own sounds while you play it, so the only sounds will be those of the VST.

Reaction score
This solves it.

I didn't understand the meaning of the 'local' function as it was worded in the manual. Makes perfect sense now. Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And just FYI, you can always turn off the volume knob on the keyboard while recording if you don't feel like menu diving for the LOCAL ON/OFF switch.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
And just FYI, you can always turn off the volume knob on the keyboard while recording if you don't feel like menu diving for the LOCAL ON/OFF switch.

Gary ;)

I'm playing the sound through the speakers on the piano so this is a no go. Also, I don't think I need to be menu diving since I figured I could probably store it and other MIDI-required settings in the memory bank.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't remember whether the Local function can be stored in a Registration, but the manual should tell you.

Edit: I checked, and Local doesn't get saved to a Registration.

However, you can send a MIDI message from your MIDI software to turn Local Control on or off; see Note 5 on page 3 of the keyboard's MIDI Reference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've never seen any keyboard where "Local Off" can be saved. Though on a board with registrations (or similar), you may be able to effectively do the same thing by saving the registration with the volume for the internal sound set to zero.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
On my Deepmind Synth and on an Arturia Drumbrute I owned previously Local OFF was saved right up to and including the next power up of the unit.

On the Arturia the only way you could reset it to ON was thru their crappy software.

Needless to say, I dumped it quickly.

The Deepmind, on the other hand could be fixed with a few button presses.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
On my Deepmind Synth and on an Arturia Drumbrute I owned previously Local OFF was saved right up to and including the next power up of the unit.

On the Arturia the only way you could reset it to ON was thru their crappy software.

Needless to say, I dumped it quickly.

The Deepmind, on the other hand could be fixed with a few button presses.
Interesting, thanks for that info! I also did come across a Kawai that, while it as (I) expected could not save the global Local Off, does let you make it part of a Registration.

Probably so few boards globally save Local Off between resets because, if someone turns on the board and gets no sound, they are likely to think it needs service!

Ask a Question