Keyboard powers up, no sound

Reaction score
So, I bought this used M-Audio ProKeys 88 from some guy for $50, and when I first got it it played just fine. Only one problem: one of the keys was dead, and not just any, one in the center. So yesterday I took it apart, cleaned the contacts, put it back together... aaaaaaand no sound. Interestingly, the demo still works, but nothing happens when I press the keys. While I was working on it a jumper(?) fell out the pcb where the i/o was, but I managed to figure out where it came from and soldered a piece of wire in its place. Still, no sound. Really stumped on this one. There are two interchangeable ribbon cables; I have tried switching them around, but to no avail. Unfortunately, M-Audio has removed ProKeys entirely from their website, so no tech support. Also nothing really online that helps.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Can't help you directly with your problem but this is why when disassembling a new piece of equipment you haven't hacked before, you always mark all the connectors and take a lot of pics with your phone.

At this point it's 50/50 whether or not you've fried it entirely by swapping the cables.

I wish you godspeed to Valhalla brother :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeah probably, but there wasn't many cables and most of them only went in to one slot, one way, and I was too lazy to get a marker and mark them or whatever.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chalk it up to a life lesson friend. :)

Be thankful it was only a $50 boat anchor to begin with. :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question