Keyboard pre-amp and amp.

Reaction score
Well, *ahem*. I know nothing about these things for keyboards, but chances are I will need them for band practive and the upcoming gig.

I used to use my one bandmates PA, but since we started practicing with drums everyone is using it along with their own guitar amps, so I'm mostly completely drowned out while they play. So I need to get louder.

So, any advice on what to look at? My budget would be around $200 max. I don't even know if you get preamps at that price 0.o

For the amp, I'm just looking for now, not going to buy, so any suggestions/adivce would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
When you say, "...since we started practicing with drums everyone is using it along with their own guitar amps, so I'm mostly completely drowned out while they play." - what do you mean?

Are you saying that all the vocals are coming thru the PA plus the guitarist(s) and bass gtr. are sending a signal from a mic. on their amps over to the PA also?

This is actually the standard way to do it for a band.

Keys are usually sent to the PA w/a monitor for you to hear yourself on stage as well. That monitor can be a kyd. amp or a PA spkr. (powered or unpowered).

For 200 bucks you're not going to get squat, unfortunately. For $345 you can get a Roland KC150 -

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLKC150

...which may or may not be enough power for you.

Reaction score
Behringer makes cheap amps... look up Behringer Ultratone. I don't know how reliable they are though, might be finicky or breakable... reviews on musicians friend are good though.

Reaction score
I gig every weekend in a loud rock n blues band, I have a pa monitor facing me under my piano and a KC550 (lined to pa) facing me side by side with the pa monitor, the pa monitor is used for vocals and guitars only and I can hear the bass and drums on stage mix, this I've found cuts through for playing loud in a a rock band....running 4600 watt PA mains. This may be alot more than what you are referring too? I've never used a Behringer kbrd amp, but it may be an inexpensive solution to your amp situation...the Roland KC550 really does rock.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. At the moment though I'm not getting a PA. We managed to cope pretty well without it, was just some technical confusing with setting things up.

I will look into it later though, so your efforts arn't wasted. :p

Ask a Question