Keyboard Purchase/AdvicePlease

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm primarily a guitarist but play some keys as well.I can manage a decent hours worth of piano for a cocktail hour if they happen to have a piano at the venue I'm playing.The quality of the piano's at these venues will vary greatly,from crappy out of tune uprights to expensive steinways and everything in between.But whichever piano might be there,I find that in most cases the action will be noticeably more difficult to play than the keyboard I've had at home for the past 15 years or so(Roland XV88),which has weighted keys but is still a bit too light to the touch in comparison to most acoustic pianos.

I'd like to get an 88 key weighted keyboard that has a harder action,but I can't really justify spending more than $1,000(and preferably less).I'm not looking for massive versatility here,just a fair piano sound with decent dynamic range that feels as close to a piano as possible.I've been to a couple of local stores and so far the best I can find action wise are a couple of the Casio's that I've tried.Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated and sorry for the long windedness.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all go into your Roland's menus and see if there's a Velocity Setting.

This sets the touch to play a note.

Try setting it to the heaviest setting.

If that still doesn't work for you let us know and we can make a few suggestions.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey,thanks so much for the reply.Yeah,I made that adjustment long ago to a heavier(although not the heaviest)setting.But what I'm really looking for is a keyboard that will offer more resistance when I strike a key.It's not that I'm only playing lightly when I'm practicing at home,I often play hard for the sake of building finger strength.But even with that I feel I'm at a disadvantage.I'll offer an analogy:in addition to my main gigging guitars I have cheaper practice guitars set up with a higher action and heavier strings.If I practice on those a bit everyday it makes playing my main guitars so much more comfortable.Right now I feel I'm working in reverse when it comes to piano,the keys on my Roland feel as though they offer less resistance than most acoustic pianos that I play.I'd like to at least even it out,or come as close as possible.Thanks in advance...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In that case, I'd suggest looking for a stage piano with GRADED Weighted Hammer Action.

Graded means that the bass keys take more force to strike than the higher octaves.

Not too many offer that feature.

In your price range you might want to look at the Kurzweil SP4-8 or the Casio Privia PX-5S, but to be honest, you're really going to have to go and audition these boards in person to see if they have the action you are looking for.

If you are shopping around on Craigslist you might also find a used Nord Stage Piano.

Otherwise though, going by reputation alone, Roland has a pretty good rep for their keyboard actions so it may be a difficult search.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks again Gary for your reply.I have tried the P160 and P360 and found the action on both to be a bit heavier than my roland.The local Sam Ash and Guitar center here in Brooklyn didn't have a PX-5s on display but I can check in Manhattan.From what little I've gleaned it seems like a more pro keyboard than the other 2,although as I mentioned previously I'm really only looking for a decent piano sound/feel rather than any of the other features.To the extent that you're familiar with them,would you say the PX-5s is a noticeable step up from those other 2 for my specific purposes?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Oh, man, I was looking at the specs for the PX-5S a few months ago and it sure looks sweet! Mind you, I'm not talking about the key action, I'm more interested in the sounds and controls. Casio might be calling it a "stage piano," but with all of its sound controls it's really more of a synth in my book. I'd love to take one for an extended test drive, even if I can't afford one right now. :)

Reaction score
Is this message from the same plectrum34 who posted all of the Nick Drake videos on YouTube? If so, please reply here or on one of your videos on YouTube. Your fans are wondering where you've been for the past 8 years. More videos please!

Ask a Question