keyboard recommendations needed

Reaction score
Hi

This is probably a massively wide question to ask, but I will try. I need some advice and recommendations for buying a keyboard.

I have a folk rock band and we want to incorporate an electronic keyboard with good quality hammond/basic organ/piano samples or synthesised sounds., perhaps with strings. This could be a synthesiser or a keyboard with hard disc capable of storing and playing onboard samples.

I am trying to avoid the thinner 'casio' keyboard sounds, and would be prepared to pay more to get more realistic and richer sounds.

I am considering using a Receptor and midi keyboard to play the Hammond B3 and East West Orchestra and Grand piano samples I have installed on my music computer, but that is very expensive. Are there good alternatives?

I would appreciate any advice, recommendations for keyboards which could fit this need. I am not looking for a huge range of onboard sounds, or any rythym/percussion sounds.

Ideally, the keyboard would have around 4 Octaves and weighted, touch sensitive keyboard with full or three quarter keys.

I am happy to buy second hand, so any good store recommendations would be appreciated.

any ideas?

Barry

Reaction score
The only keyboard with a hard disk is the OASYS which'll be much more than what you need (plus it's way more than a receptor).

Depending on how much you want to pay, you either want a workstation keyboard (Korg Triton/TR/M50/M3, Yamaha Motif/MO/MM, Roland Fantom/Juno are some relatively current examples), or a stage piano. To get a good idea of what you actually want, go to a music store and try out a few things. Buying used is the only way that you're going to get a good current workstation for under the price of a receptor (around $2,000 US if memory serves), unless you get really lucky with sale prices.

Some things to think about: what priority are the different sounds to you (i.e. are organs really important compared to synth or string sounds?) Do you want drawbar control of your organ tone?

Everything in this class will be touch-sensitive and have decent keys. You're not going to find a 4-octave (49-key) weighted workstation though. Most workstation brands come in 61, 73 or 76, and 88 key variants, with only the 88 key versions having weighted keys.

Reaction score
I would buy a Hammond XK3c with a Leslie 3300 speaker. I've had a real B3 with 122,145 speakers,a Roland vk-7 and Vk-77, Currently using the full Hammond XK3c proline system. It is the B3 sound using the same engine as the new digital B3. Roland VK-77 is close but only Hammond has nailed it. The only thing is it won't record but I'm sure there's some way to add a recorder to it.

Reaction score
I have a folk rock band and we want to incorporate an electronic keyboard with good quality hammond/basic organ/piano samples or synthesised sounds., perhaps with strings....

any ideas?

Hello Barry, from what you describe ie: folk rock BAND (playing gigs?),

I would suggest you go for a 'no-nonsense' hardware keyboard.

(ie: no complications with setting up laptops - and the inevitables 'crashes' that WILL occur).

As Kanthos said, you won't find a 'small' weighted keyboard, so you'll have to look at the alternatives.

The ones that spring to mind are -

Korg X50
Roland Juno-Di (NOT the older Juno D)
Yamaha MM6/MO6....

- if you want to go for weighted keys the only way to go is with an 88-note 'board..... which will mean more weight/bulk/size to move around.

(Unless you are prepared to spend loads of cash on the new Korg SV-1, or Yanaha S70xs)

I have a Korg X50, & for such a small/light keyboard, it certainly packs a punch!

Ask a Question