Keyboard Sounds

Reaction score
I'm probably missing the obvious, but can someone explain why can't I get the same keyboard sounds at rehearsal studios or at gigs, as I do in my home. When I work on the songs at home, I usually can come close to replicating the sound settings as the recorded song, but when played through teh group's PA , etc., the sound doesn't come out the same. Close, but not the same. I leave all EQ settings flat, but this is still a tonal difference, particularly on horn and synthesizer sounds. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
EQ is always a personal taste.

If the music is coming out flat at the venue, then you have to tweak the recording in your studio to compensate.

Short of going there with a spectrum analyzer and a parametric equalizer, you will have to muddle along with your memory and your musical ear to guide you.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I always referred to that phenomenon as "Sonic Clarity", a keyboards ability to maintain it's true tonal structure and punch while on stage with drums and Marshall amps. I have found over the years that it is brand related. Some keyboards get washed out in a live environment, some can still be clearly heard through all the stage noise. That's just my opinion.

Back in the day my DX7 would get buried live no matter how many watts I was pumping. Same with other Yamaha keyboards. Korgs were way better live. When the E-Mu Vintage keys came out I could finally hold my own in a high noise environment. It would sound the same on stage as it did in my home studio. That's when I came up with the whole "Sonic Clarity" thing. And bought 2 more E-Mu's. That was years ago though. I switched to touring with a pair of Roland VR-09's when they came out with them. They have pretty fair sonic clarity. Lately I've been using a Virus TI 2. It has really good punch on stage.

What are you using for stage monitors - or do you use IEMs? Get a pair of QSC 8 or 10 inch pole mounted speakers behind you and your band mates will think you're God himself no matter what brand keyboard you're playing. :)

Reaction score
".. but when played through the group's PA .."

And there you have it.....

When you play at home the only thing coming through the speakers is your instrument. When you play on a stage you and everything else (including what the mics pick up) are co-mingled. They will never sound the same unless you use in-ear monitors so that the main thing that you hear is your keyboard uncolored by other instruments and environmental noise. Also, it's quite possible that the PA speakers that you hear on stage lack the dynamics that your home speakers have. Mine never sounds the same in the mains as my powered monitor. I have my powered monitor tuned to work for my sound, the PA lacks those adjustments, doesn't sound the same. Also, room acoustics and other phenomena factor into your sound as well; some rooms make the sound brighter, others duller, etc.. Finally, volume: you probably play louder outside the home then at home, amplifiers output curves change with volume. As you get louder some amplifiers begin to emphasize mid or lows more than highs as they are being pushed. When you begin factoring in all of the above you can start to understand why there are differences.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I work on the songs at home, I usually can come close to replicating the sound settings as the recorded song, but when played through teh group's PA , etc., the sound doesn't come out the same.
If you can describe your home playback system, and the group's PA, that could provide a clue as to why the difference might be particularly noticeable.

Reaction score
Having played through many different amps and PA's - I can say most all will give your keyboard a different sound. I've found it best to have my own personal small mixer in-between my keyboards and any amp or PA, tweaking the EQ and volumes - and I always take a pic of the mixer face so I can re-tweak settings at different venues ;)

Ask a Question