Keyboard Speakers for Home Use

Reaction score
Hello there.

Later this summer (as soon as I get my salary for working the entire summer), I'm going to buy the Korg M50, and since it doesn't have built-in speakers, I will need something to connect it to, and I'm not that satisfied with headset only.

Please do note that, as the title says, they will be used at home; not for band rehearsals, and not for gigs. Which probably means that I won't be in need of a big amplifier, but just something quite simple and cheap, without totally killing the soundquality, preferably :)

I know there's quite some time left until I will need them, but I like to gather some information about things before buying them :)

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I ultimately bought the Blue Sky EXO 2.1 Studio Monitoring System to go with my M50. [Info on GC's site.]

One of my satellite speakers had a bad pole mount, so I contacted Blue Sky. They provided a level of support customers dream about. Replacement speaker shipped immediately, along with return shipping for the damaged speaker. All at zero cost to me.

Blue Sky isn't exactly well known. I hadn't even heard of them until the GC guy showed me the demo EXO system. The features were good enough, and the price wasn't bad, so I took a chance.

So far I've been happy with them, and they work great with my Zune as well! :D

Reaction score
Hmm... Is that ($300 or more) what I will have to pay to maintain good sound quality?
I kinda thought that I would be able to get something decent for less than half of that :/

Reaction score
Yep, the EXO goes for about $350. Not exactly pocket change.

The problem is trying to find something that has an acceptable frequency range, sounds good, and doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and maybe a finger or two.

It seems like bargain basement monitor prices don't go much below $300-350. Perhaps a keyboard amp will do the trick?

Reaction score
I'll read through that when I've got the time, but just reading the topic makes me feel that it's about STUDIO monitors, which (I think?) is a bit more demanding than home speakers.

But I'll read it all in detail later, and I might have found something useful there :)

Reaction score
Monitors are definitely notches above stereo speakers. I suppose you could try running the keyboard through your stereo, but you might find yourself with a nasty case of ground loop. Overall sound quality probably won't be the greatest either. But you never know unless you try.

I've never had much for a stereo, and the stereo speakers I do have are so bad we never use the stereo. IDK why I still have them. Maybe it's time I yank the magnets out and toss 'em on the fridge...

Reaction score
I've read in other forums that your typical home studio is NOT a good idea to use for amplifying keyboards. Combo amps, powered PA speakers, Studio monitors etc. are designed to withstand keyboard playing i.e. wide frequencies and varying volume, whereas home stereo systems are not.

I don't remember the specifics, but I've seen other people post that they had to learn the hard way (damaged speakers). So I'd say studio monitors are your best bet. I don't know much about them, but from what I've seen if you want good ones you're gonna pay.

Reaction score
Okey, I suppose I'll just have to hope that I've got money left for a £350 speaker after buying the M50, then :/

Though I will probably ask around in a few stores before buying anything, with some luck, I might find something a bit cheaper, but still good enough.

Thanks for your help :)

Ask a Question