Keyboard speakers

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance. Do I need two speakers for a stage keyboard. Although I mostly play in my studio, I also want enough power to play in small venues such as coffee houses or small outdoor events (e.g., playing for donkeys).

Reaction score
No, a single Amp will suffice.

In another thread I did suggest a Vox VX50KB amp which has 50W and onboard effects and the benefit of nutube tech. The member concerned bought one and is very happy with it. It is a small and pretty lightweight unit for its power, so do checkout the reviews of one.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The main advantage of two speakers is that they give you stereo sound. If your keyboard's voices or patches are all panned in the center then stereo is superfluous. But if the voices or patches are panned to the left or to the right then a stereo sound system will be able to let the audience hear that. Of course, the people in the audience would also need to be roughly equidistant from the two speakers to really benefit from a stereo effect, since anyone sitting right beside either speaker is going to hear that speaker really well, but the other speaker not so well.

Reaction score
Besides taking advantage of the spaciousness of stereo sounds or effects (some patches on some boards simply sound best in stereo), a second speaker can also give you more spread over a wider area, and make it sound less like your sound is "coming out of a box", even if you're using mono sounds. It's always nice to have two... but one is certainly usable. I've played with a single speaker far more often than I've played with two, because my own emphasis is on minimizing travel weight and setup/breakdown time, If I had a roadie, I'd go with two. ;-)

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance. Do I need two speakers for a stage keyboard. Although I mostly play in my studio, I also want enough power to play in small venues such as coffee houses or small outdoor events (e.g., playing for donkeys).
Ditto to al the replys.... Might I add..... the cheapest (and I think BEST) way to go is stay as far away from guitar amps as possible (and keyboard amps are way too expensive). Look into "Alto" Professional active monitors for "cheap" (and still sound pretty good at REASONABLE volume levels), OR the EV ZLX series of active monitors.... (truely, I havent found a better soinding active at tht price point, and you can find them B-Stock all day long)

Reaction score
[/QUOte
After experimenting with multiple different options I found the QSC 12 to be suitable for just about any venue. I have 3 of them. If I go mono I use one. Stereo 2. I use the 3rd for vocal monitor when not using in ear monitors.

Reaction score
I'm hearing good things about the new Bose S1 Pro speakers. I've been using the Bose L1 Model II for a few years but would like to go 'stereo'. Downsizing appeals to me as long as I'm maintaining quality. Anyone have these S1 Pro's? Thoughts?

Ask a Question