Keyboard stage setup without mega stage volume

Reaction score
I currently run two keyboards through a little Behringer four-channel mixer, which is connected to a Samson XP300 monitor (that sits on the floor behind me), that's connected to the main board.

The problem is this. We typically play on very small stages and are trying to minimize stage volume. Once everything gets rolling, I sometimes have to pull up the volume on the keyboards in order to hear them. Although we typically are told we sound great out front, sometimes I hear band mates tell me the keyboards were really loud.

I'm curious to see how other keyboard players handle their setups for small stages. How do some of you set up your gear for a gig in a small room?

Reaction score
It's a problem on small stages (or small rooms) - especially if there's a drum kit and you're near it.

You could try getting your powered speaker up off the floor - on a stand maybe and pointed at your head. Shouldn't need to be so loud. I've done pub gigs where I'm so close to the kit I've had to wear ear plugs.

Reaction score
Which way is your speaker pointed? Let's assume you setup on the right side of the stage, have the speaker setup on your left side pointing directly at you or on your left in front of you. This way it is pointing at you but pointing away from everyone else. Alternatively you could try running earphones out of the mixer and you can be as loud you want then you'd only need the monitor for the rest of the band to hear you.

Reaction score
G'day WebDev22.

I'm very much with Dave. I try and point my monitor towards me, but at the same time away from the band - generally I'll place my monitor behind me and off to one side a bit which seems to be the best configuration. During sound check I check with the musos standing nearest to me to make sure I'm not overwhelming them with my keys, and adjust monitor level and or position accordingly. Once I know I'm "out of the way" of the rest of the boys as far as on stage sound goes, they can then debate with the FOH guy how much keys they want/don't want in their own foldback wedges.

Sounds like you run out of your monitor into the desk, or vice versa? FYI and to put the above in context, I run directly out of my mixer via DI into the desk - a separate line comes out of my mixer for my monitor.

Cheers!

Ask a Question