Keyboard Stand Design Survey

Reaction score
I'm a masters student at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow studying product design and I'm working on a project to design a portable keyboard stand (inspired by those X-style stands that I find super annoying!) If anyone on here plays keyboard and has used any type of keyboard stand (which I'm assuming most of us have!) I would love your insights on current designs and what you would want to see in a new design!

Here is the survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/29DGLCK (it should only take 5min or so)

Thanks!

-Alex

Attachments

• Single-X.jpg
    Single-X.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 101
Reaction score
I'm a masters student at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow studying product design and I'm working on a project to design a portable keyboard stand (inspired by those X-style stands that I find super annoying!)

If anyone on here plays keyboard

and has used any type of keyboard stand (which I'm assuming most of us have!) I would love your insights on current designs and what you would want to see in a new design!

Here is the survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/29DGLCK (it should only take 5min or so)

Thanks!

-Alex

Welcome and sorry but I cannot resist this following your comment

If anyone on here plays keyboard

err yes, that would be all of us but we are also pretty good at dishing out advice on Computer Keyboards since the name of the forum being

Keyboardforums

and there is a lot of ambiguity in the name.

Good luck with your studies and keep up with the Glaswegian diet of Iron Bru and Deep Fried Mars bars.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
General consensus among a lot of keyboard players is that X Stands suck. Single braced or double braced they rely upon a single point of failure which can allow a $4000 keyboard to come crashing to the floor.

Also, they have the annoying characteristic of adjusting narrower as they adjust higher so if you are playing an 88 note keyboard the ends tend to wobble or even tip when vigorously playing the lowest and highest octaves.

Most people who know better opt for Z stands, or Table Stands or A Frame Stands for stability and reliability.

Major complaints with these stands in general is additional weight to transport and ease or difficulty assembling and disassembling before and after a gig.

Now that you have a better idea of the scope of the problem I wish you luck in designing a better mousetrap.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Weight, handling, size , set-up/tear down time, adjustability - all of these attributes matter in some fashion. After about 50 years of playing in bands, I use the dreaded X stand modified with a safety strap for back-up "collapse prevention". (K&M old school heavy duty, but light enough weight to be a problem). Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
To me, it's about fast setup/breakdown, light travel space, and then getting the multiple boards as close to each other as possible. My favorites have been the K&M 18880 (with appropriate stackers) and the old Invisible stands. But no stand has been just right for every board combination.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you take the survey, you'll see that it isn't about X stands per se. You can indicate experience with and preference for other styles.

Reaction score
I still use a single brace X-stand for practice (I only bring one keyboard) and a double-braced X-stand for gigs (where I usually bring one or two keyboards). The double brace has the upper arm attachment for the 2nd keyboard. Most people will tell you terrible tails regarding X-stands (check youtube and "keyboard x-stand fail"). There are dozens of videos showing the X-stand collapse. I've owned my single braced and double braced X stands for 30 years, playing out live, practices, etc. Never had a single problem with any of them, so there may be issues with them but I've never encountered one. I would prefer a Z-stand but the X-stand has it beat for setup time and carrying. I can literally have my double-braced X-stand setup with the upper tier ready to go in 20 seconds. My setup time is long enough and I don't want to spend any more than the 20 seconds I need to set it up now. If you can find a way to compact a Z-stand (double tier) into a compact setup in 30 seconds or less I'd be interested otherwise there would be no reason for me to want to change it out. Also, the double-braced two tier X-stand cost about $100; so I also am not going to spend $150-250 on a stand when i have one that gives me zero trouble and is quick to setup/breakdown.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you take the survey, you'll see that it isn't about X stands per se. You can indicate experience with and preference for other styles.

I don't just hand out my email address to every Tom, Dick and Harry Website that demands it. :p

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Then I take it you haven't actually looked at the survey, because you don't have to hand out your email address unless you want to. ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Good Luck Alex.
It will be a difficult task to design a stand to surpass every other designers features.
I think weight and set up time will always be an issue. These you will not improve. Safety features (collapsing for example) could be one aspect you could look at and simplicity of erection.
The X stand to my limited knowledge is the simplest to erect and if locked in propetly it wil not fail.
The spider stands are heavy (so I have been told) but they look great on stage from an audience's perspective.
I do not do surveys gererally either (like Gary).
Best of luck Alex with your R&D. Then after that you need to look at materials, cost and production and that will be a huge challenge.
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually if he wants to design something so expensive that nobody can afford to buy one, he could go with aluminum or carbon fibre or even titanium and do a computer stress analysis to achieve an optimum design, but only Elton John would be able to afford one. :D

Basically, let's face it. What's a keyboard stand? It's a shelf!!! You can have one designed by NASA or you can buy one built in a sweatshop. :D But realistically all it does is hold something straight and level at waist height. :D

He's doing his grad thesis on building a better shelf :) Something that's puzzled mankind's greatest thinkers down thru the centuries. :D

Personally I like my Onstage Z's, but I don't have to move them twice a night.

If you wanna talk about the Rolls Royce of keyboard stands nowadays take a look at Gibraltar stands. They build some awesome gear, but oh so pricey :eek:

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I seriously doubt that he'll be back to read any of these replies. He joined yesterday, probably along with 20 other music forums and left his survey link and skittered off like so many others do.

I thought there was a forum limit on posting links until like after 10 or so posts. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Op does not need to return to any Forum.

He has the survey site and that will be the source of his data that he will use resides.

Probably he has already mapped out a basic structure to his thesis, set design concepts and criteria of design, like form, target price banding, weights, ease of setup/strike down etc.

If we just sit down and write up a list of what we want in a keyboard stand then set about designing from the list we will not get far before a compromise has to be made.

What the Op is doing is an academic process, he does not have much flexibility about what he is doing, he has to follow the process step by step, and to document each stage. At the end he probably will have a c20,000 word thesis to submit that has to satisfy the form and function of a standard Harvard Style Thesis. The design content can really be rubbish as long as the structure and processes involved in producing the design are documented and his piers accept that he has followed their thesis criteria.

The only way to find out if he is going to succeed with the design of a new form of X stand is if he is on Dragons Den in a couple of years time with a prototype.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Regardless of the OP's objectives, I think it is bloody rude to impose on us.
He is an intruder and I bet he will not discuss keyboards in general with us.

BTW as I am typing this, I see below . . Similar threads!
Who needs a new thread on the same subject which will just fade into oblivion and we will NEVER hear from the OP again.

At least he should discuss with us.
I say no discussion, no more input from me!

Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dunno about you Ray, but I only post here to distract and amuse myself during the SUMMER OF COVID!!! :D :D :D

85% of the time they post their problem, we solve it and nary a thank you in sight. :(

90% of those post once and are never heard from again.

I really only come to the party to socialize with you guys and blow off a little steam while the world melts down around us. :)

So Ray, don't see it as wasted effort.... See it as a consensus among friends...

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Dunno about you Ray,
I have learn't heaps from these forums and appreciate it immensely.
You Gary, and others here have given me timeless and priceless advice.

That is why I stick around.
I got to know Cowboy Paul here too and we have met up personally.
That is the best thing! :)
You other blokes are too far away to meet up with but I would reckon you'd be up there on my best buddies list!
So I am in the best place.

Take me or leave me, I am staying.
Cheers Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With Covid in the air the only glasses we are allowed to clink right now are virtual anyway. :(

I'd love to buy you all a round in the local pub but life is full of disappointments and disappointment builds character so I gotta say you're a fine bunch of characters to pal around with. ;)

So I raise my glass to all you fine people and am calling it a night. :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question