Keyboard Stands - WHY is is so hard???

Reaction score

Plus a bit of time wth a hacksaw. Seems like your only other alternative is a custom made one to your design, no problem for a good Engineer to fabricate.

Reaction score
No idea on the K&M, but the front my FA sits almost at the back of my RD and its fine.
Is this set up better than changing all the bolts to wing nuts on an A frame? Here is the real kicker, how do you know this will work before you purchase?

Reaction score
Whilst it maybe subject to side to side movement issues the K&M tiers are each infinitely adjustable.

What cannot the designers of other multi tiered stands do the same?
Different designs lend themselves to different kinds of adjustability. In this case, infinite vertical adjustability works because one movable piece supports both sides, off a shared center column. On a design with left and right (instead of center) support, infinite adjustability would be a pain, because it would be hard to get the two sides even. Every time you made an adjustment on one side, you'd have to use a level to span the arms and tweak the other side minutely to get them to the same height.

For any one who has done this, how hard is it to reach. From the description, the front of the top tier would be near the back of the bottom board.
Yes, front of top board ends up near rear of bottom board... sometimes that's exactly what you want. How far a reach it is depends on how deep the bottom board is and whether you're sitting or standing.

Reaction score
This is what I have. Each tier is completely adjustable, height-wise. The arms are not too long, either, so work well with smaller decks. I kind of thought someone else would mention this stand since it's so readily available and does not have predetermined heights. Mine is something like 15 years old and still works well. It packs up very easily (arms go into the stand's main chassis, or whatever you want to call it), and legs slide straight in. Maybe you said something about not liking this option, but I didn't catch it.

Reaction score
Very true Scott.

If the Op cannot find a stand he is wanting then perhaps buying the nearest to his requirements is the answer then taking it to an Engineering Shop and have them modify it to his specific requirements.

Reaction score
This is what I have. Each tier is completely adjustable, height-wise. The arms are not too long, either, so work well with smaller decks. I kind of thought someone else would mention this stand since it's so readily available and does not have predetermined heights. Mine is something like 15 years old and still works well. It packs up very easily (arms go into the stand's main chassis, or whatever you want to call it), and legs slide straight in. Maybe you said something about not liking this option, but I didn't catch it.

I cant angle the top tier though :(

Reaction score
Another possible alternative is to buy or make a platform that could go in front of the keyboard stand, for your chair and the pedals to go on— or just the pedals. In fact, that’s probably what I’d do— adjust the height of the chair or stool, then have a little platform to put the pedals on so they’re easily accessible. You wouldn’t even need to build anything out of wood (unless you wanted to). Before I bought a 2-tier stand, I was using two X stands, one in front of the other, set at different heights— the front one all the way down, and the back one all the way up. I still needed the back one to be about 2 inches higher to clear my bottom keyboard, so I bought some of those fluffy rubber-bottomed bath mats for a few bucks each, and folded them to make a pair of 2-inch tall platforms that I could set the back stand on. Something like that could be a cheap solution for making a platform for your pedals to go on.

Thats kid of what Im doing. I actually have 2 risers for the stands feet to raise that slightly (rather than raising the seat and pedal board) and I do have my pedals mounted on a "sheet". The only problem with what I have is its not that sturdy. The top arms in particular move a bit (and that top tier takes not just a board - though a light one - bu a small mixer, and two modules).

The red K&M (though Id go black as I dont have Nords) is probably the one Ill go for - I dont strip and assemble that often at preset. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks, so may well be good enough. If I can find something better - all to the good. BUT Id also consider raising my stool and pedals if the "best" stand for stability, adjust ability and strip down/set up times is too high. Its just one (or two) more things to lug about is all.

Ask a Question