Keyboard used in "Fast As You"

Reaction score
I feel kind of stupid that I don't know the name of the keyboard in "Fast As You" by Dwight Yoakam, but I don't.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Also, is it a sound I can get out of a Kurzweil PC2X?

Thanks in advance everybody, I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Thanks man! I'm glad you verified it for me. I ended up finally figuring it out and man the Kurz has some great B3's with the Leslie speaker sound... I wish I knew more about it. I've played a TON of piano and electric keys as well as percussion/guitar, but that sound (and playing it well) has always escaped me...

If you're curious, to get an idea of what I do, I have 3.7M hits on this video:

How does the Leslie and the B3 relate? I don't know that much about it, but I know the idea behind the rotating speaker deal...

Thanks for any info you can provide, I appreciate it.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Thanks man! ............
How does the Leslie and the B3 relate? I don't know that much about it, but I know the idea behind the rotating speaker deal...

Jimmy

You're welcome Jimmy. That is nice job on the song and mix. I'm courious
about how you did the the back-ground vocals? They are smooth.

The B3 and leslie have a unique sound, and there are set-ups on the Hammond that are hard to replicate without using the real Hammond.
I think Wiki has a good explaination about the development of both the Hammond organs and the Leslie, and how they came to be frequently sold together.
Between drawbar/organ settings and playing techniques, it can be hard to replicate that sound with other keyboards. For recording, I generally use
the Native Instruments B4ll virtual instrument for Hammond tracks because
I can set it just just like the real B3.

Don (B3)

Reaction score
Vocals and follow-up

You're welcome Jimmy. That is nice job on the song and mix. I'm courious
about how you did the the back-ground vocals? They are smooth.

The B3 and leslie have a unique sound, and there are set-ups on the Hammond that are hard to replicate without using the real Hammond.
I think Wiki has a good explaination about the development of both the Hammond organs and the Leslie, and how they came to be frequently sold together.
Between drawbar/organ settings and playing techniques, it can be hard to replicate that sound with other keyboards. For recording, I generally use
the Native Instruments B4ll virtual instrument for Hammond tracks because
I can set it just just like the real B3.

Don (B3)

In regards to the vocals. I think there are 4 separate parts I recorded (in addition to the vocal 'melody') and then I cut 2 tracks for each vocal backup part with panning L/R in different amounts for each track. So in all there were 8 vocal recordings for the background parts.

I have a lot of originals that I'm working on and I'm doing even more with backgrounds and it's really fun. I just can't believe what I'm able to do these days with my laptop and the little setup I have. One thing that is crucial for me is my speakers. I don't have much money, but I was able to get a set of ATC powered monitors (close to $7K for the pair) and hearing the mix properly is kind of a foundational requirement for me in mixing/recording. These speakers (even though a little light on the low end - really need a sub) are truly amazing and I've love them!

I understand what you're saying about the B3 and Leslie.... It is hard to reproduce with the Kurzweil, but actually you can get some pretty kick a$$ sounds from it and I've been playing around with it. I think I need a lesson or two from someone that really knows it, though. I know it's one of my weaknesses and I'd like to be better at it.

So if you liked that video, check out this one:
I can't believe how well this one turned out. I'm pretty proud of it, but I have a ton more to learn, too.

And, of course, you could always check out:
JimmyG.us - Royalty Free Music and free piano music > Home
(Free Royalty free music that I composed)

When I left that last comment for you, I kind of figured that I could pull some good info from the wiki, but I thought I'd see if you had some good 'insights' that I might miss from the text on the wiki. Considering you're screen name, sounds like you might be a great authority... :)

And thank you for the compliment on the video, I appreciate it a lot...

Jimmy

Reaction score
<temporarily off topic> -> Any idea how to 're-subscribe to this thread? I accidentally unsubscribed (thought I was clicking the link to come back here, but accidentally clicked the 'unsubscribe' button....)

I want to make sure I get your replies....

Ask a Question