Keyboard vintage synth for music mentioned below.

Music Bird

Foreign Music Genres Nerd
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for a used (preferably vintage model that doesn’t usually have many issues) hardware synth to add to my setup.

Already have a Minilogue (not XD), and Yamaha MX49 as well as Casio SK-1, Alesis SR-16, and some Casio arranger keyboards.

I’m looking for the following

- medium or large sized

- compact

- has to have a keyboard, plus, I don’t mind mini keys because I have a Minilogue.

- 49, or 61 keys.

- Analog or digital is fine, but I’m looking for more analog style sounds.

- budget of under $500.

- looking for Asian styled synth sounds like stuff in Indonesian dangdut music, Sumatran pop and folk music, Chinese and J pop, and Indian and Middle Eastern music (look examples up).

- polyphony is important but not a necessity (ie monosynths are fine but polyphony is a plus).

Sounds I’d be looking for in particular are stuff like:
Synth leads that have a reedy or brassy tone (something emulating a shehnai or oboe is necessary same with a squarey sound), some type of squeaky lead sound a la 60’s Moog records is necessary, brassy stabs, bass a la Moog but not Moog, Accordion and harmonica, detuned saw synths, stringer style strings, flutes, analog style bells, saxophone type sounds, electronic organ or piano sounds (more so analog and FM styled) and maybe also some sync sounds.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just picked up a Behringer Model D for $250 brand new. Covid is kicking the snot out of prices. ;)

I'm not worried about the lack of keys since I can use almost any keyboard as a controller. :) You could do it just as easily using the Casio, the MX49 or even the Minilogue as a controller keyboard.

Gary ;)

Music Bird

Reaction score
Unfortunately I dont own midi cables and the Casio only has USB in and out.
And I'd want specifically a keyboard and something older. I was actually looking into the JX-3P, Alpha-Juno, and Roland ROMplers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You don't mention a budget limit so offhand if you're looking for vintage sound and if you have deeper pockets there's the recently released Behringer 4D. Vintage 4 voice poly sound in a new package.

Honestly I dunno why you're so hot for vintage gear. The prices are ridiculous and most of the stuff needs to be rebuilt from the boards up.

Behringer makes decent Analog Clones for insanely low prices and it sounds and plays as good as or better than the real thing.

If you're OK with MONO then there's the Behringer MS-1 a clone of the Roland SH-101 also available for cheap.

If you are still insisting only a vintage synth will do I'd suggest you lay down the crack pipe. :)

Gary ;)

Music Bird

Reaction score
I guess modern will do as well.
I am looking into Behringer. I can’t spend over $500 because I have a tight budget.
I’ve narrowed it down to the following
Behringer MS-1.
Behringer Odyssey.
IK Uno synth.
Behringer DeepMind 6 used.
Microkorg.
Volca Keys + Bass + Beats.
Reface CS.
And are there any others?
I could spend a bit more, maybe up to $550-$600.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
IK Uno has no keyboard. Neither do the Volcas except for the single octave of multi use buttons.

Reface and Microkorg are mini keys.

Behringers on the list all have full sized keyboards.

Personally I own a Deepmind 6. It's built like a tank. I love mine.

Gary ;)

Music Bird

Reaction score
Ok I looked on Amazon and I found better prices for them.
I'm looking at the Reface CS or DX now since I love 80s analog and DX type sounds.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's entirely your choice but I'd strongly advise that you invest in a decent 61 or 88 controller WITH DIN MIDI PORTS sometime in the near future.

(BTW , YOU CAN control a Behringer Modular Synth with a Casio since they both have USB as well and all you need is a USB/MIDI Host controller or any computer with USB ports to handle the MIDI routing.)

Gary ;)

Music Bird

Reaction score
Looked up the USB Midi host and found one. And I might buy that and a Reface synth or Behringer Model D/Crave/Pro 1/Odyssey/MS-1. I was mainly looking at used because I thought some of the older digital synths and VA synths and stuff like the Poly-800 and like (cheap analog polys and that’s the only one I can think of) were good.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check out the Video Gear Reviews thread here in the Keyboard Purchase Selection Forum.

There's tons of new VAs and Analogs coming out these days in all sorts of price ranges. A lot of knockoff clones as well. There's some real bargains out there these days if you look for them. And with Covid-19 a lot of retailers are dying to get rid of old stock before the lockdown makes them obsolete.

Gary ;)

Music Bird

Reaction score
Now that I think
I’m looking at arrangers mostly but they are way too overpriced.
Anywhere legit I can find a Yamaha S670/970, Korg PA or Roland EA7 for under $500?
I was looking at the following
Technics KN2000
Korg PA300
Technics KN1000
Technics KN800
Yamaha PSR-s670
Roland EA7
Roland E-09
Roland E-20
Yamaha PSR-3000
Yamaha PSR-740
Technics KN3000
Technics KN920
All of these looking for places I can find them under $500 way under if possible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for a used (preferably vintage model that doesn’t usually have many issues) hardware synth to add to my setup.

Already have a Minilogue (not XD), and Yamaha MX49 as well as Casio SK-1, Alesis SR-16, and some Casio arranger keyboards.

I’m looking for the following

- medium or large sized

- compact

- has to have a keyboard, plus, I don’t mind mini keys because I have a Minilogue.

- 49, or 61 keys.

- Analog or digital is fine, but I’m looking for more analog style sounds.

- budget of under $500.

- looking for Asian styled synth sounds like stuff in Indonesian dangdut music, Sumatran pop and folk music, Chinese and J pop, and Indian and Middle Eastern music (look examples up).

- polyphony is important but not a necessity (ie monosynths are fine but polyphony is a plus).

Sounds I’d be looking for in particular are stuff like:
Synth leads that have a reedy or brassy tone (something emulating a shehnai or oboe is necessary same with a squarey sound), some type of squeaky lead sound a la 60’s Moog records is necessary, brassy stabs, bass a la Moog but not Moog, Accordion and harmonica, detuned saw synths, stringer style strings, flutes, analog style bells, saxophone type sounds, electronic organ or piano sounds (more so analog and FM styled) and maybe also some sync sounds.

I wanted another synth to compliment my Yamaha s-70SX, honestly, I went through 3 1000 dollar synths, none of them were really that good, I sold them, and lost a couple of hundred on each, until, I finally went back to one of my first synths from the 90s. The Korg X-3 or X2 can not be beat for pads, horns, synths and etherial sounds. I honestly think they stopped making it because it was too good, They could not sell thier high end stuff, the original price of the X3 was 799 in 1994. You can layer, and Im tellin ya , if you layer and tweak a few horns, they are better than any new synth under 2500 dollars. All natural sounds, (not buzzy but if you like buzzy, it has that too) ,there is a guy on ebay who is selling a floppy with organs for 20 bucks, that are as good as the Nord. I have a B3 so I know good organ. I found an X2 (same as X3) with an extra octave. at Syntaur, luckily , it cost me 490 dollars and they gave me 90 day warranty. It takes a little time to program, but you can save everything on a 720 floppy.

Music Bird

Reaction score
It adds a bit of resonance to the filter, so it makes some sounds that I want easier to get to (I want some quack synths and they’d be easier to make on a synth).

Ask a Question