Keyboards and headphones and sound quality

Reaction score
Hi,
New forum member. I joined to share my experience and see if anyone has encountered anything similar.
I have a Yamaha DGX-650 and have been using a relatively inexpensive pair of old Sony MDR-XD200 headphones with it. The sound is crisp, strong, clean and I have had no issues.
My son got a pair of Sennheiser 598s for Christmas and they were very well reviewed for keyboards. They seemed comfortable and sounded good so I tried them with the keyboard---the results were noticeably worse than the Sonys. This made me curious, so I pulled out the Bose Quietcomfort that I use for general purposes and always sound great and have been reviewed well for digital pianos. I plugged them in and they sounded like garbage. Not a subjective audiophile sort of garbage, but a real flat, tinny far-away, noticeably bad garbage. But in my stereo or phone or tablet, these headphones still sound great.
So I plugged the Sonys back in and will continue using those. But I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if there are maybe settings on the keyboard I could adjust to make the fancy headphones sound like they're supposed to.

Reaction score
I have the QC 15 (I think). They were fine... until I got a pair of Senheiser HD600. Wow!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Holy smokes! For $400 they'd better be markedly superior! ;)

Reaction score
I think the Bose headphones were $300. Sometimes you can find those Sennheisers on sale but they also make listening to music an experience. I'll be honest someone owed me money and that's how they paid me lol. I would have never bought them on my own.

Ask a Question