Keyboards Quality Issues

3dc

Reaction score
So as suggested by @Biggles I went to a local music shop to check up latest arrangers from Korg and Yamaha. The choice was narrowed down between SX900 and SX700 from Yamaha team and Pa1000 and Pa700 from Korg team. All of them sounds great but then I went online to check up user reviews and known problems for these models and I was shocked. It turns out people have some serious problems with these keyboards. Problems with screens, OS, memory, drives. These are professional music keyboards. I will not go into some epic problems of Genos and Pa4X as they are out of my budget anyway.
And I am supposed to give one of these two brands my hard earned money for nice package of problems? :rolleyes:

I also don't quite understand the need to forcibly divide keyboards into workstations and arrangers these days. Yes, there is much more choices but also much more problems.

Any opinion?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Yamaha SX models are fairly new and completely different from previous S models, I briefly played an SX700 and did not like the tonal quality, that said it was vastly superior to the S 7xx that I had previously tried.

Hence I know nothing about any problems with the SX range but in their case they are Yamaha so expect Yamaha's legendary lack of support should you buy one and experience issues.

Korg is another matter, I had zero issues with the Pa700 that I had for over two years. OS was rock steady, instrument voices were very good especially if the Eq is tweaked. Free Bonusware easily available and installed. Downside is available onboard memory which is limited and the keybed feel, which is typical of Korg at this price point.

I have been a member of the Korg forum for years and the main issues users seem to have is with a lack of understanding on how the OS works. I have lost track of the sheer numbers who have been scratching around trying to do something and reporting it as a fault only to be told that the fault is with what they are not doing.

Korg support varies dramatically but for the Pa problems will land in Saulo's inbox, he is based in Italy where the Pa series is designed, developed and managed, top guy is Saulo.

Learning the ins and outs of an SX or Pa will take time and effort and any will no dought serve you well.

Reaction score
I can only speak on behalf of the three Korg keyboards I own (not arrangers).

They are built like tanks. Super reliable even after dealing with heat, cold, dust and impact. I do look after them very well but things happen when you’re frequently gigging.

3dc

Reaction score
For the record: I didn't mean to put @Biggles in bad spot for recommendation.
I was just surprised that professional keyboards have this type of problems. Anyway I am also considering Korg over Yamaha. I will probably go for Pa700. All I need is something serious to learn, play and record multitrack song. I really need something to get off of my PC for a while. How good is sequencer on Pa700? Can I avoid DAW with Pa700 or this is wishful thinking?

Thanks for opinions and suggestions. I really appreciate them.

Music Bird

Foreign Music Genres Nerd
Reaction score
The PA-700 is a good choice, the sound set is from the Triton but those are some good sounds, plus you can get bonus stuff for any kind of music, Western or non-Western.

Reaction score
Despite owning two Yamaha’s I am only a fan of their piano sounds others are not to my taste and there has been a lot of adverse comment on their organ sounds in particular. What I do not know about the SX capabilities could fill an entire User Manual, which is where you might like to go. They are readily available to download and peruse.

You will also find for both the SX and Pa ranges that the manufacturers have video tutorials available on Youtube. The Korg video manual series can be accessed via the link with the tutorial on Recording being number 8. Whilst this link is for the 700 the 1000 is similar but there is an additional video

This is for the SX

Reaction score
Problems with screens, OS, memory, drives...And I am supposed to give one of these two brands my hard earned money for nice package of problems?
Lots of people use these boards quite happily, maybe you're responding to the fact that people tend to post things like "my screen broke" more often than things like "my screen is fine." ;-) I do follow conversations about the Korg PA, and can't say I"ve noticed any plethora of failures being reported, personally. I haven't followed Yamaha arrangers, but based on other Yamahas, I wouldn't expect to see inordinate failure rates there either. To put it differently, these things are probably all at least as reliable as your computer. ;-)

I also don't quite understand the need to forcibly divide keyboards into workstations and arrangers these days.
I believe most of the higher end arrangers can also be considered workstations (i.e. they have full editable mulitrack sequencers in them). Boards sold as workstations, though, don't have the style-based flexible on-the-fly accompaniment features of an arranger.

3dc

Reaction score
To put it differently, these things are probably all at least as reliable as your computer. ;-)
I believe most of the higher end arrangers can also be considered workstations (i.e. they have full editable mulitrack sequencers in them). Boards sold as workstations, though, don't have the style-based flexible on-the-fly accompaniment features of an arranger.
Yes, but when a PSU, CPU, GPU, MB fails you can change it in one day even with quarantine regime. Its not so fast or affordable with music keyboards IMHO.
Well I am hoping to get solid arranger and workstation capabilities with Pa700. I also hope to get away from my PC from time to time but still record some decent music with included sequencer.

Reaction score
it's not the Triton sound set.

Scott is 100% correct and whilst a Pa does not have the Triton sound set Korg does have their Bonusware site where free Style and sound packs are available.

There is also Osimo which is a free add on Songbook which includes customised Keyboard Sets and Setlists.

The Triton sound set is freely available from the Bonusware site to install on any Pa although you may run into available memory issues when you install lots of sound and style packs.

Ask a Question